GOT HOT WATER BUT COLD RADIATORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. Just fitted new wilo 50 pump,bled pump and rads but still no heat. Its a baxi bermuda sl3 fire and back boiler,about 6 years old, plumbing about 20 years old,gravity system.Had it on for about 10 minutes then went off

Sponsored Links
is the pump spinning. is the room stat turned up , is there power to the pump. have the pump valves opened up again.

If pump and boiler runs for ten minutes then goes off sounds like its over heating which points towards a blockage (air maybe).

Have you actually vented air from all of the radiators that are above the height of the pump?

Sponsored Links
Have you called for CH at the Control Panel? Is the Diverter Valve Actuating?

Have a look at kevplumb's Sticky to see a description and pic of a Motorised Valve.

yes, pump spinning, room stat on,pump isolators open and all rads bled. Had this problem before and have spent hours turning off pump,bleeding pump and turning back on until i get a whoosh and rads get going, but since changing pump(which i thought was the problem) i cant get anything but the odd clank in the pipes

From what you've described so far it's quite possible that you have a blocked feed.

Start by checking the contents of the F&E cistern in the loft - is it full or empty, clean or dirty?

If you vent enough water from a rad then does the level in the F&E fall correspondingly?

Has the system had any chemical inhibitor in it since you last had this problem?

What do you find if you move a magnet around where the cold feed tees into the primary circuit?

checked tank, water black, dont know what has been put in system but never been checked before.Somebody came up yesterday and took thermostat out of fire and (boiled)up pipes which he said sometimes worked but not recommended.This didnt work, so would my next step be to flush system and if so hows the best way

Softus said:
From what you've described so far it's quite possible that you have a blocked feed.

If you vent enough water from a rad then does the level in the F&E fall correspondingly?

What do you find if you move a magnet around where the cold feed tees into the primary circuit?

water in header tank tops up as normal when rad is bled but i am confused. checked feed pipe down to hot water tank outlet, is the pump flow directed away from the back boiler to the hot water tank or vice versa.Checked and found systm fitted by previous owner about 25 years ago and guy was jack of all trades and all his previous diy jobs have been re-done over the time weve lived here

glynr113 said:
water in header tank tops up as normal when rad is bled but i am confused.
I don't understand why you're confused. ?:

checked feed pipe down to hot water tank outlet,
And what did you find?

is the pump flow directed away from the back boiler to the hot water tank or vice versa.
Impossible to tell from here. A pump can be fitted either on the flow or the return, correctly or incorrectly. Look on the side of the pump body for an arrow (in the casting) showing the pumping direction.

pump flow is from boiler,i was just confused by which way it should be,cant find anything else to look for .Could there be air in the boiler?

If you have the pump, vent and cold feed in close proximity, the in the direction of flow they should be in the order vent, cold feed, then pump.

This is in order to counter the reduction in pressure on the 'suction' side of the pump, which might otherwise result in drawing air down the vent pipe.

Whether or not the pump is on the flow or return is largely academic, and also, if you have a pumped DHW primary circuit, the direction of flow through the coil is unimportant.

If you don't have a blocked cold feed, what's the route of the pipework leading to the pump? Is there a high point that isn't vented and that could trap air?

Dont understand about vents etc (i hate plumbing)Basically system is pump directly above back boiler in cupboard in bedroom with pipework running under floorboards to rads and hot water tank and on up tofeed tank in airing cupboard in end bedroom about 25 feet from pump.Cold water tank next to feed tank and only bleed points are pump and rads.Yes have air vent in airing cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back