Perpairing the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just stripped tiles of the bathroom walls .Around the bath of which l have a wall shower and screen the tiles came off pretty easy.Someone said to me you want to put acrlic bonding on before putting the tiles up as they are plasteres walls.Also to use adhesive with acrlic in it. Would PVA do the same as acrlic bonding before tiling the walls.

Sponsored Links
Tonygerm,
You fill the bath when you seal around it with sealant. If you fill it when you tile you get wet feet. ;)

Moz, go to bed. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ray316 said:
Just stripped tiles of the bathroom walls .Around the bath of which l have a wall shower and screen the tiles came off pretty easy.Someone said to me you want to put acrlic bonding on before putting the tiles up as they are plasteres walls.Also to use adhesive with acrlic in it. Would PVA do the same as acrlic bonding before tiling the walls.

PVA is a no no.Use decent bucket adhesive then no need to prime wall,this only applies if ceramic tile and they are not large tile.. ;)

ray316
sorry but I have posted loads about PVA BEING Rubbish here an YOU havent searched an read anything ..lol

you might as well coat it with custard ..lol

your on the ball regarding pva ...
but then let yourself down with the comment use pre mixed TUB mud/adhesive mix , shame on you .....lol :)

use a powdered mud/adhesive mix Bal is best an fully guaranteed

http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060

I have Never had a fail with their gear .. :)

Moz, what exactly is wrong with tub gear??? I use Bal myself,nothing wrong with white star for ceramics imo,also self priming,ideal for tiles under 300mm.You telling me you dont use tub gear at all???

NEVER .......I have done 1000s of jobs over the years an always use powdered gear /mud,
I prided myself on my work ,an you know yourself we use/stick with gear we know IS Reliable ....
I have heard a few horror stories on pro tilers boards regarding even bal tub mix failing then the court of enquirey by bal an with respect they have paid up to get them sorted ..(top marks there wonder if the diy sheds tub mix makers would do same ?)

You know however many jobs you have done you Topcat reputation is always your last job .. OH Yes !!!!
I can say when working in London a decade ago having to use tub mix an I walked off site with my mucker as it was substandard gear ...
I seen an tried it since an still hate it ...(was at pals mother in laws bathroom , she had got it I stuck it up an its coming away now ,lol :))
Its Mickey mouse stuff an for the lazy diyers who havent a brain to mix their own mud

but if you are happy to use tub mud go ahead ..lol ;)

ok moz or any one that can help, why is powered adhesive better than pre-mixed, and ok moz no l have not done my homework and read up on pva so why don't you put this on. Why l'm asking is because after l posted on here l've gone and put it on the bathroom walls. :cry: .Now l've not tiled it yet, so is it critical to take it off and if so how do l get it off before tiling. :cry: Sorry moz .

Ray alls i can suggest is sanding the plaster to get rid of pva,then
apply Bal APD as your primer, let dry then ready to tile.
Moz is correct , powder addies are superior,they will be more flexible and have a better bond strength,but if this is your own and youve not done much tiling id stay with bucket addie mate.I would say that this is only for
smaller ceramics tho..
Await my rollockin from Moz :LOL:

not a rollockin as such just trying to pass on Pro advice ,you spend a hell of a lot on tiling a bathroom...
which you want to be proud of an for it to last decades, better to use gear that will last :)

would still go with powdered mud mix ...even for the diyer ....
your right regarding the sanding an Bal APD btw....:)

my understanding is that PVA breaks down with water,
so as most tiles will encounter water at one time or another,you
are actually weakening the bond..
Moz you are right,makes no sense to settle for second best,and
id be devastated to find id had a tile failure,even if adhesive co.
paid to put job right.Powder all the way from now on,
Cheers for the advice ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back