Worcester starved of air?

rmt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Recently the only way my Worcester 280 RSF will ignite is with the combustion chamber panel slightly loose allowing air in, have had it serviced but the plumber unable to solve the problem checked flue etc and all aparently ok
ATB
Mike t

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you need a boiler engineer rather than a plumber!

Any competent engineer will quickly be able to diagnose the fault.

I could probably tell you what it is but its such a simple fault that I am wondering if your plumber was not CORGI registered.

Tony

Hi
thanks for your reply, sorry I should have been more speclfic. he was a corgi registered engineer.
ATB
Mike t

he was a corgi registered engineer.

He might be CORGI registered but if he can't sort that fault out then i would not be using his services again.

You are not running it with the case not fastened on correctly are you?

Sponsored Links
rmt said:
yes its the only way it will run?

Did it not occur to you that the cae and its associated seal are there for a reason??

Would you stand in the shower and turn on your electric shower with the cover off?

Would you turn on your microwave if the glass window was missing??

get the drift?

thanks for your constuctive comments youve been a great help in letting me know there is something wrong. perhaps someone can tell me WHAT is wrong

Don`t take this the wrong way, but the thing that`s wrong is you`re running the boiler with the cover open! It`s not too much of an expense to fix the problem, and an engineer with a bit of savy will suss it straight away. No matter how many times you ask neither myself or anyone else here would tell you the answer for fear of either being sued or you doing the job yourself. Believe me, it`s not too hard a job to fix, but i`m afraid it`s a corgi engineer for the job.

If we told you what it's likely to be, with a rider that it could be one of several other things, and then enough so that you couldn't possibly leave the boiler in an unsafe state, we'd have to write a book.
Get a little corgi in, shouldn't cost a fortune.

thanks. I will try another GORGI registered engineer that will make it three, I wonder how many I will have to try before I find one with enough "savvy" to fix this simple fault

Post doesn't really make any sense though, if an engineer came to service it did he leave it in a non operational condition or a dangerous condition with the cover half open?. The fault could be one of several things in the same area but all simple to diagnose.

RMT, we are all CORGI registered and we have been trained that gas safety is a priority.

Apart from the fact that its a very simple fault on your boiler that any half competent engineer would quickly identify, there is the question of why your "plumber" apparently left the boiler in a working condition with the case partly open. Thats definately unsafe!

Are you quite sure your fellow really is CORGI registered with a photocard and a registration number which checks out on the corgi-gas website?

Tony

rmt, i know this is a diy site so youve come for a diy answer, i know how annoying it is when you feel everyone else is getting help but you (i killed my boiler last saturday morning and noone seamed to be on line!), but there are parts of a boiler (generaly those behind the cover in question) that by law can only be tuched by a competent person, and the saftety of the boiler must be checked after by measuring its fumes etc (as i understand it. note: Im a DIYer too) hence why with such a boiler problem you are been told to get someone in to sort it. note if they dont fix it dont pay em. the gas side of the boiler is dangerous, if you had a problem with your pump, diverter valve, sludge etc, these guys would be telling you exactly what to do. it is for you safety they are telling you to turn it off and get someone in. and by running it with the cover slighty open you have shown you dont understand the dangers of this hence why they may sound a little harsh.

thank you for all your comments, some helpful some not. I have fixed the problem,
Now all I have to do is find out why the bathroom floor is always wet after a shower and solve the problem of why my face always goes red when using the microwave?
GET MY DRIFT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back