Dimmer overloaded - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just installed two new ceiling lights with 12 bulbs each. It appears that this is too much wattage for the dimmer switch to handle as it keeps tripping to full power after a few minutes. Are there high capacity dimmer switches available or does have anyone have a work around?

thanks
Duff

Sponsored Links
What wattage and type are the lamps?

Are both fittings on the same switch (24 lamps on one switch)?

Afraid so :confused:

We currently have 12 x 60w bulbs in each and they are all on one circuit controlled by three switches around the room, one being a dimmer. They are standard ceiling lights.

I have just been looking at bulbs, the take the small screw candle bulbs, the smallest I have found is 25w each or a total load of 600W, could I get a dimmer that would handle that?

thanks
Duff

you can, also why not not screw in some of the lamps, seems pointless buying a light with so many lamps and then dimming it

Sponsored Links
thanks Breezer, but you could say that about any dimmer, just get a lower wattage bulb. :D

the main reason is that it is a very big room with a high ceiling and needed big lights. I hadn't really thought through the load issue. :oops:

Why do some dimmers show va rather than watts :confused:

I have come across a 1000 watt dimmer, but it is 1 gang 2 way and I need 2 gang 2 way!

Thanks
Duff

i doubt you will get what you want in 2 gang, a bit og heat needs to be dissipated

How's about using a 2 gang grid set up with remote dimmer packs. rexel senate do one at 1000W / 700Va ---- although the book price is almost £60 each + VAT

Hi nozspark

That sounds interesting, could you give me some more details, or point me to the right place, rexel senate's website seems out of action at the moment.

thanks
Duff

Hi Breezer

I still can't get in, am I in the right place, I am clicking on products and then lighting, but just get a page of html code. Can you give me a link within the lighting section to see if I can access that?

Duff

lighting on that site starts at http://www.rexelsenate.co.uk/stratus

Stratus_5.jpg

is an image from the page

Duffledorf said:
Hi Breezer

I still can't get in, am I in the right place, I am clicking on products and then lighting, but just get a page of html code. Can you give me a link within the lighting section to see if I can access that?

Duff

Are you using Firefox? The page does not work in firefox for me, but it's ok in IE. - but I can't find any dimmers on the site.

Just had a look at the senate web site..it's out of date.

I've scanned some bit out of the catalogue for you

grid-dimmer.jpg

senate-contacts.jpg

No home page yet though!!!

edited to show pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back