Bathroom design advice - to cove or not to cove.......?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to get my bathroom ceiling smooth plastered and then plan to fully tile the walls and floor. I would appreciate any professional opinions on whether I should keep the existing coving or remove it and tile straight to the new ceiling. Basically, I haven't seen many bathroom ceilings so would like to know what you think looks best (coved or uncoved). Bathroom measures 9ft x 7ft.

Thanks for any advice or pointers to bathroom design websites.

Sponsored Links
Mine is coved, my previous I coved. Yes give me coving.
It is down to personal taste & cost though. I bet if you dont cove you will wish you had.

If you don't cove it you will probably get a bit of a crack between the wall and the ceiling plaster, the coving just hides the black crack.

I have experimented with flexible filler and expanding foam, haven't found a good solution yet to the crack problem.

as an old bathroom/ fitter tiler ....

coving looks dated an naff now ...

get the ceiling skimmed then tile upto 2mm top
then use sealant finish expansion joint ,
btw
I have fitted nice small trim at tops before that looks coolies ....

coving is sooooooooooooooooo last century lol ;)

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun
an how many bathrooms have you designed an fitted this year ?
ask any Quality bathroom fitter ...??
it passé an dated ..... why not add a coloured suite as well lol .. 70s stylee..lol..... :) :)

Hmm! mixed advice but thanks. Still can't make my mind up. Anyone got any websites showing pics of a tiled room with / without coving? Thanks a lot guys.

Moz said:
Diyisfun
an how many bathrooms have you designed an fitted this year ?
ask any Quality bathroom fitter ...??
it passé an dated ..... why not add a coloured suite as well lol .. 70s stylee..lol..... :) :)
Always fnit strange how people want a stranger to do a design for them. Maybe its because they just want wot is fasionable. I dont make a living at design but I know what is coool. :rolleyes:

if the bathroom is smart enough then coving anint gina wreck it

I cant see people coming in going OOO how nice but look at the coving!!

OR VISE versa..nice bathroom but shame no coving :LOL:

I'm about to sart tiling my bathroom in the next couple of weeks. I've decided to go for floor to ceiling tiling, with a skirting and coving. I'm going for a classical bathroom style. Probably with dentil style coving and a couple of corbels (!)- a bit clasical greek style.
But I spend a lot of time in the bath, looking at the ceiling!

Hazelb said:
I'm about to sart tiling my bathroom in the next couple of weeks. I've decided to go for floor to ceiling tiling, with a skirting and coving. I'm going for a classical bathroom style. Probably with dentil style coving and a couple of corbels (!)- a bit clasical greek style.
But I spend a lot of time in the bath, looking at the ceiling!

Personally I would never have skirting if the walls & floor are to be tiled, especially in a bathroom. My problem is to cove or not to cove. I guess as coving is already there, then its best to leave as is. Cheers

JohnD said:
I have experimented with flexible filler and expanding foam, haven't found a good solution yet to the crack problem.
So far, Easi-fill hasn't cracked yet over 11 months, depending on room temperature I suppose

Remember to take into account thickness of tile + adhesive so tiles do not protrude passed coving as this will look yuk ,same applies to architrave round doors , i would remove coving and tile up to ceiling then run flexible sealent (mildew resistant ) round

if you have a modicum of good taste, do not put coving in the bathroom.

as moz has said sooooo dated.

a good clean angle looks smart, especially in the bathroom where ceramic tiling is prevalent.

but, it is all a matter of taste. there is no accounting for taste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back