Water main pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the main stop cock inside the house, meaning I will have a joint, some more plastic pipe, then the stop cock and onto 15mm copper.

I measured the main incoming pipe, and it 'appears' to be 22mm black MDPE. However, 22mm MDPE doesn't appear to exist - only 20 or 25. The house was built mid-80's, but I've read elsewhere on here that before the 20 and 25mm pipes "there were previous sizes". I'm wondering if my "22mm" pipe is one of those, or, more likely (or should I say 'hopefully'), it's 20mm, but I've measured it at it's widest point where it's bulged a bit on the bend.

Any other theories?

Sponsored Links
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to move the main stop cock inside the house, meaning I will have a joint,

Move the stopcock first,then have a joint :LOL:

If it is black then it won't be MDPE.

It is more than likely black alkethene, may be PVC. Try a plumbers merchant for fittings, although you may find the measurements are actually imperial.
When you move the stopcock, install a drain valve after it, this will make things easier if you ever have a problem in the future.

Sponsored Links
Can you leave the old stopcock as is, treat it as a fancy looking compression joint with a handle on top that doesn't do anything, and run on from there in copper to a new stopcock wherever you need it?

Thats what i did when my original stop cock seized instead of trying to find one to fit the original pipe. I left it on place and just fitted my new stop cock and pipe work from there on.

TicklyT said:
Can you leave the old stopcock as is, treat it as a fancy looking compression joint with a handle on top that doesn't do anything, and run on from there in copper to a new stopcock wherever you need it?

You can, but you're b*ggered if you box it in. Most common place for a blockage is inside a stoptap/under the jumper. Screwed if you can't get at it. Much better to cut out and piece through

Black poly pipe is imperial so yours would be 3/4", probably class C or D.
It will be the same fitting just a different insert, buy one of each just to be sure.

More likely to be 1/2" class C or D.

Look for some writing on the pipe and it will tell you.

Tom JE said:
Thats what i did when my original stop cock seized instead of trying to find one to fit the original pipe. I left it on place and just fitted my new stop cock and pipe work from there on.

That will work ok, but there will be a flow restriction in place from the old tap. It may not be significant, but can't you isolate at the street and do a proper job?

Richuu said:
However, 22mm MDPE doesn't appear to exist - only 20 or 25. The house was built mid-80's, but I've read elsewhere on here that before the 20 and 25mm pipes "there were previous sizes". I'm wondering if my "22mm" pipe is one of those

I only spent 18 years working for the water board, so I might not be as knowledgeable as doitall but 22mm od black poly pipe is 3/4"

keego said:
Richuu said:
However, 22mm MDPE doesn't appear to exist - only 20 or 25. The house was built mid-80's, but I've read elsewhere on here that before the 20 and 25mm pipes "there were previous sizes". I'm wondering if my "22mm" pipe is one of those

I only spent 18 years working for the water board, so I might not be as knowledgeable as doitall but 22mm od black poly pipe is 3/4"

You may be right keego ;) after 48years one does tend to forget.

Class C & D BS 1972/BS 3284

20mm 1/2" (3/8" LCD)
25mm 3/4"
32mm 1"
40mm 11/4"
50mm 11/2"
63mm 2"

The first Number being the fitting size.

Internal components colour for inserts.
BS 1972:61, IRS 134 N.G Red, IRS 135 H.G Pale Blue.
BS 1972, LD.C Light Blue, LD.D Light Green.
BS 3284, HD.C Dark Blue, HD.D Dark Green.

As DIA said, it's ½" black low density polythene pipe (BS 1972) which has an OD of 21.5mm. (same as ¾" imperial copper). This is obviously the size that the poster has.

doitall said:
keego said:
Richuu said:

You may be right keego ;) after 48years one does tend to forget.

Class C & D BS 1972/BS 3284

20mm 1/2" (3/8" LCD)
25mm 3/4"
32mm 1"
40mm 11/4"
50mm 11/2"
63mm 2"

The first Number being the fitting size.

Internal components colour for inserts.
BS 1972:61, IRS 134 N.G Red, IRS 135 H.G Pale Blue.
BS 1972, LD.C Light Blue, LD.D Light Green.
BS 3284, HD.C Dark Blue, HD.D Dark Green.

It's allowed m8, I've only got another 6 years to catch up with you providing I dont have another heart attack!. Each to their own, after 18 years playing around with the underground stuff before moving on to heating, I'll continue advising about what I know & you do the same.
It was no dig at you ,just trying to pass on what I know to other people.

& it would help if the OP would state if his measurments were OD or ID!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back