Hot water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler (Potterton Netaheat) will not ignite when the programmer calls for heating, although does for hot water. I've replaced the programmer and room thermostat but still the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes! Do you have any zone valves or maybe a 3 port mid position valve in your system. Its highly likely this is where the problem lies. either valve not moving to correct position or if it is then microswitch failure
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip. I've checked the motorised valve and it doesn't move, but would it if the boiler isn't lighting?

Sponsored Links
As I understand the 2 port, when CH is called for the motor moves the valve to open position, when in the open position it triggers microswitch. When demand is satisfied or CH no longer called for then power is removed and valve returns to closed position by a return spring.
You should be able to tell if motor is driving valve forward or if valve is returng under spring pressure. It may be possible to remove actuator head from valve spindle to watch it as you try it. If it does move across ok then the microswitch which supplies power to the boiler is where the problem lies.
If you look at wiring diagrams the norm is a live wire and neutral wire to drive the motor. Then another live wire to the microswitch and a switched live wire from microswitch to boiler. A replacement actuator head would cover both motor and microswitch. unless of course the valve itself is stuck fast, but you can try that when you remove the head.
hope it helps a little.

I've removed the head of the motorised valve and it doesn't move when the system calls for heating. I can move the valve spindle by hand to change the flow to heating from hot water

Well you've made a bit of headway, at least you know the valve is free.
and I think you can forget the microswitch for the moment.
So the next stage is to prove that electric is getting to the head when the room stat is turned up. you can test that with a neon screwdriver.
It does look more like a duff motor inside the head which you can replace for about £15.

Hi. Similar problem here... I have an ancient (20+yr) system with Potterton Netaheat 10-16 boiler (which I have repaired myself twice so far - ignition generator and relay).

Right now, I have CH (thank goodness), but no HW. All symptoms point to a stuck motorised valve. Problem is, I can't find it. I can find the main pump, which I had to remove a kitchen unit to access, but not valve.

To the left of boiler, pipework is boxed in, where timer controller is mounted. I can't believe I'd have to dismantle this to access valve!

Any ideas where to look please?

Many thanks in advance,

Alan.

Daddy,

apart from not posting into someone elses thread, I think you need to work out if you have gravity HW and to check if the header tank is full and that its outlet pipe is not blocked.

Tony

An empty header tank is quite likely to be causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back