First gas appliance in property !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am converting from an electric hob to a gas one (lpg), there is no ventilation as such in the kitchen, could anyone please advise what the legal requirement is for ventilation regarding a gas hob.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I am trying to think how you could convert an electric hob to an lpg :D (only joking)
You are ok with an openable window ;)

You are ok with an openable window

or door, louvre or similar with direct access to outside air so long as the room is more than 10 m³ in volume.
between 5m³ and 10m³ you need 50cm² ventilation
and if it is in a room of less than 5m³ then you need 100cm²

If you have NO openable window or door to outside you can arrange permanent (fanned) ventilation. Don't have details to hand though.

Anyone found out recently??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, Ihave just built a granny annexe and was going to use all electric including hob but to cut the power needed down a bit (getting a bit heavy) thought that a gas hob would be an idea with electric oven, most of us would agree that a gas hob is far better to cook with anyway, the reason for the post was that I did not include an air vent in the build as I did not intend to use gas, good news that an opening window is Ok though which there is!

Many thanks

All those answers are in relation to natural gas.

The gas cylinders have to be outside!

I am not registered for LPG but I would have expected that a vent at low level would be needed in case of an LPG leak. Can anyone who is registered for LPG comment?

Tony

Slugbabydotcom said:

or door, louvre or similar with direct access to outside air so long as the room is more than 10 m³ in volume.

Close Slugbaby ;)

For rooms less than 5m³ its 100cm², plus an opening window etc, for room volumes greater than 5m³ no purpose ventilation is required. other than the window etc direct to outside air

Agile said:
All those answers are in relation to natural gas.

The gas cylinders have to be outside!

I am not registered for LPG but I would have expected that a vent at low level would be needed in case of an LPG leak. Can anyone who is registered for LPG comment?

Tony

Yes the gas bottle would be outside, surely there would not be too much difference between natural gas and lpg in the scenerio of a gas leak, end result would be the same BOOM !!!

Also what happens when you have these indoor bottled gas fires as the bottles would have to be inside if you know what I mean! (interesting)

LPG don't go boom, the bottle does.

What you get is a fire ball at several thousand degees. :eek:

Unlike natural gas LPG is heavier than air and it pools in low spots.

In case your thinking about it, it is not a DIY job.

doitall said:
LPG don't go boom, the bottle does.

What you get is a fire ball at several thousand degees. :eek:

Unlike natural gas LPG is heavier than air and it pools in low spots.

In case your thinking about it, it is not a DIY job.

So in the case of LPG (bottle outside) do you need to have an air vent fitted in the kitchen when using a LPG gas hob or is a window that opens sufficient, the room is more than 10 cubic metres and is open plan with living room and front door

No you do not need additional ventilation, the opening window is fine.

A couple of safety ideas you should consider.

Any cavity vents in the kitchen should be ducted to outside, because you wouldn't want the cavity filling with un-burnt gas :eek:

Residential park homes have to have gas dispersal holes to atmosphere fitted directly underneath or adjacent to the gas appliance, in my opinion three or four 28mm holes sleeved through the wall is good practice in any property.

doitall said:
No you do not need additional ventilation, the opening window is fine.

A couple of safety ideas you should consider.

Any cavity vents in the kitchen should be ducted to outside, because you wouldn't want the cavity filling with un-burnt gas :eek:

Residential park homes have to have gas dispersal holes to atmosphere fitted directly underneath or adjacent to the gas appliance, in my opinion three or four 28mm holes sleeved through the wall is good practice in any property.

Many thanks, I appreciate you giving your time in answering my query!

doitall said:
Slugbabydotcom said:

Close Slugbaby ;)

For rooms less than 5m³ its 100cm², plus an opening window etc, for room volumes greater than 5m³ no purpose ventilation is required. other than the window etc direct to outside air
I was quickly covering a worst case scenario without picking nits However a closer inspection of my source reveals that I was actually right as the "between 5m³ and 10m³ you need 50cm² ventilation" part refers to a room with a window, louvre etc but without a door openable to the outside air.
Open plan and over 10m³ in this case obviates this requirement but I've made it clear for the benefit of those who use this topic post as a reference

If you do create 'dump vent' as suggested by doitall make sure that allowance is made for the bottle/s to be at least 1 metre horizontally away from it or any other vent or opening. This common sense measure of providing a vent is more than is required by legislation but LPG is nastier stuff than Nat gas so with the above proviso I'm all for it.
The spec for an RPH [Residential park home] is a grill with holes between 6mm and 9mm square to prevent ingress of insects and vermin. IMO a 6" X 9" sleeved airbrick at low level should suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back