smoke damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what would be the standard practice for painting smoke damaged wall and roof trusses inside a loft. would i need to remove as much of the soot as possible if so what with? any advice would be much appreciated ( its a dirty job but someones got to do it :cry: )

Sponsored Links
when I used to work for firms that dealt with insurance jobs, ie, smoke damage, we would wash the walls and woodwork down with sugar soap, then apply 'Dulux' alkaline primer sealer to the walls prior to emusioning.
I am going back a good few years ago, as I dont do that type of work any more, but am sure there are different new products for the smoke damage that I dont know about.

Must admit though, when the boss was trying to make a few bob, he would get us to use oilbase undercoat instead, for the nicotene, water damage marks, and fire damage walls and it did the job, as soon as it dried, we would whack a colour on the walls, and it held, nothing came through the undercoat . :eek:

Wash as much off as poss and then get a tin of stain sealer..zinser do a good one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back