Gas main size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had plumber around to give us a quote for connecting up my gas hob.

He informed me he couldn't do the job because my gas main from the meter to the boiler is undersized at 15mm so if he connected up the hob this would reduce the pressure at the boiler further.

The measurement at the boiler was 19mb and the boiler type is a myson wm30/40. The max pressure i can see on the serial plate is 13mb.

The quote was £546.25 +vat to provide a new 22mm and 15mm gas main to be run under floor void to feed one new gas hob and one existing central heating boiler.

This is well over my budget so told him to forget it as i will get an electric hob instead. He then said I might as well get it done as next year the home info pack comes and the currnt gasmain isn't up to current standard
Requireing me to sort it out before i can sell.

Is this right, is the pipe to small to run a hob and the boiler?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes he is correct other than the HIP has been shelved for now, and a lot of sharks ( estate agents and solicitors ) are cashing in on it now by insisting it is actually the Law, IT ISN'T.

Other than that get another price to replace the gas pipe, I'm sure you could get that down quite a bit, just make sure whoever calls is corgy registered for cookers etc.

wozzit99 said:
The measurement at the boiler was 19mb and the boiler type is a myson wm30/40. ......He then said I might as well get it done as next year the home info pack comes and the currnt gasmain isn't up to current standard requireing me to sort it out before i can sell.
19 mbar at the boiler inlet is perfectly acceptable. It should be 20 mbar +/- 2 mbar, so down to 18 mbar would be OK. Adding a gas hob would probably be too much (depending on how far the branch is from the meter) although you might get away with just upgrading to 22mm for a short distance above the floor. Above all you need to find a competent gas installer who isn't trying to rip you off and knows what he's talking about (fat chance!).

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
Above all you need to find a competent gas installer who isn't trying to rip you off and knows what he's talking about (fat chance!).

There's nearly 900 on the Association of Registered Gas Installers. org. uk Chris, including several I know in Bristol. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back