No hot water - Help please !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have an old Myson Marathon gravity fed CH system. Hot water was fine last night, but today no hot water from taps ( not even luke warm ), but heating is fine.

Also when running the hot taps, there is a noise from one of the pipes feeding the hot water tank, sounds like its filling the tank, also a noise coming from what appears to be the loft...

EDIT
Just to add, the main water storage tank in the loft is constantly filling up ( i've checked the float/valve is ok - lifting the float the water stops ), and that the pipe feeding the bottom of the hot water cylinder has rushing water sound in it.

I have turned off the 'gate valve' on the pipe feeding the bottom of the hot water cylinder and the rushing water has stopped and the topping up of the cold water storage tank has stopped

So...does this mean the hot water cylinder is somehow stuffed, and if so where is the water going, as I assume the filler of the cold water tank in the loft is fed from the mains...

any help very appreciated !

Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
Also when running the hot taps, there is a noise from one of the pipes feeding the hot water tank, sounds like its filling the tank, also a noise coming from what appears to be the loft...

That would be, er, normal!

Check in your loft (or might be in top of a cupboard) to see if there's water in the SMALLER cistern..

Thanks Chris.
Just to add, the main water storage tank in the loft is constantly filling up ( i've checked the float/valve is ok - lifting the float the water stops ), and that the pipe feeding the bottom of the hot water cylinder has rushing water sound in it.

I have turned off the 'gate valve' on the pipe feeding the bottom of the hot water cylinder and the rushing water has stopped and the topping up of the cold water storage tank has stopped

So...does this mean the hot water cylinder is somehow stuffed, and if so where is the water going, as I assume the filler of the cold water tank in the loft is fed from the mains...

Thanks !

:idea: whats running? washing machine, tap, if nothing is obvious then a leak under the floor

Sponsored Links
scaby said:
:idea: whats running? washing machine, tap, if nothing is obvious then a leak under the floor

Everything is ok, no obvious leaks anywhere...after turning off the gate valve as above that feeds the hot water cylinder, there is no water in the hot taps...the radiators are ok, and all cold water is fine too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back