Layers of painted wallpaper horror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My stairwell and landing is covered in painted lining paper with victorian varnished wallpaper underneath : it strips off dry in some areas and in others wont respond to scoring and/or steaming. I cant just paper over as I had the flat rewired, leaving areas with no paper, which will show through.(I want a lovely flat smooth wall, you see) I have been recommended to stabilise the surface with Thistle bond, then plaster skim over; but can find no record of its use over paper, only for stabilising plaster.
Can anyone give me any advice? I dont want to pay a plasterer (£800) to do this then have it all fall off!!!

Rachel

Sponsored Links
Raitch...you could try using a wire brush..give the surface a good seeing too with it, romoving as much of the sheen as you can

Then soak it in using very hot water with a bit of washing up liquid in it

Soak it a few times and then have a bash

Painted and varnished? A blowlamp and scraper will take it off.

If it is that thick embossed paper with a sort of yellow putty filling the pattern, I understand it is lead based so a blowlamp would be unsafe. Apart from lead poisoning to yourself it damages brain development in children and babies.

Sponsored Links
Could be lincrusta...in which case the yellow substance is more or less...putty..still risky with a blowlamp though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back