Gledhill, Sludgebucket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It went in at new build, 15 years ago. One of the 7kW ones with the thermal store on top. Cust complaining that he only gets about 4" of hot enough water in the bath.
Store feels ok (too hot to hold a hand on) and the level is ok, so all I can think is that it's only half full of water, the rest being rust. Couple of rusty rads...

Common?
Could dangle the aquavac hose in I suppose.....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
gulfstream? horrible boiler. got an estate full of them. they have a nasty habit of overheating and turning the house into a sauna

it'll be the mixing valve probably.

nickso said:
gulfstream? horrible boiler. got an estate full of them. they have a nasty habit of overheating and turning the house into a sauna

it'll be the mixing valve probably.

Don't let Water Systems hear you say that :LOL: :LOL:

I would think Chris is talking Mk II

There's only one pump between boiler and store, swym, the HW just runs through the store by mains pressure. The store is heated 24/7 so in the morning it should be all hot even if the pump isn't doing much. With 7kw it would take a while anyway!

The HW is (very) hot out of the mixing valve, it just "runs out" earlier than would seem right. Unless you mean they produce CW randomly??

This one would be hard to replace - cupboard, conventional flue, 15mm gas..

every gledhill I go to is sludged up as the installer just dont seem to realise that a litre of fernox just aint enough to treat a system with an additional 80 litres of water in the heat store

I also find that the mixing valves on these are rubbish and I have to replace ones not even two years old.

maybe try a new one chris?

maybe try a new one( mixing valve) chris?
Don't understand how that would restrict (apparent?) HW volume. Which way do they fail? This one as I say is giving v hot water - probably unmixed.

Has anyone exp of the "bucket" filling up with sludge?

cant say I have ever seen one full up but pretty close

I meant that if the blending valve aint intiall mixing then the hot water goes cold then its most likely boogered and needs replacing

how long does the hot water last?

whats the temperature of the rads> maybe the primary thermister is knockerd and not heating the heat store up enough

as you can probably tell I aint no expert ;)

ChrisR wrote

Has anyone exp of the "bucket" filling up with sludge?

Whats a "bucket" ??.
Are you referring to a catchment area for sediment and using a less technical expression ??.

ChrisR wrote

The HW is (very) hot out of the mixing valve, it just "runs out" earlier than would seem right.

AAh Yes.
If only hot water is being dumped out and no mixing taking place then perhaps it is likely the system cannot keep up with hot water production.

What volume is inside these for hot water production anway ??.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back