Decorating louge/dining room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a new house which has Wickes Trade emulsion on walls in lounge/dining room. God knows why the present owner took off wallpaper and painted it all white. Anyway there are some marks on walls but not noticeable..the walls are to bare plaster.

We are thinking of wallpapering the 2 rooms the same as its thru lounge/dining room with patio doors.

There is no wall paper to take down. Should we wallpaper..the decorator suggested plain type £12/roll. or paint over lining paper or just paint neutral colours. Is wallpaper the In thing now. The house is mid 70s detached and has dark mahogony wood in fireplace surround and shelves for TV etc, bay windows(the window sills) and patio doors.

What would be reasonable to pay to 1. to wallpaper rooms and 2. To paint if the lounge is 14ft by 13ft and dining room 12ft by 10ft.

What is max and what is reasonable for a decent job

Sponsored Links
So many questons.....so little time. I'll have a go later .

This is a bute for ..Third_Degree. ;)

First: In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with white and you say the marks on it are "not noticeable".
Lining is the in thing.

Labour only:
1 - wallpaper £450
2 - Paint £375
3 - Line and paint £625.
4- There is no maximum price for a job.

I had one quote from decorator who also does lino/carpets etc.

He charges £1/m2 for carpets and 15/m2 for tiling.

He has quoted 150 quid to do the job. My mate has said he'll do it for 100 quid but after xmas. Seems both prices are good and I've seem their jobs there good quality.

Although price is very reasonable I've spoke to a few friends who say that white in lounge is not bad. They wouldn't just repaint it if it was new like say a few months old. to think of it white goes well with the dark wood around the lounge. The house just needs some furniture to make it more homely...guess we'll be sorting that out very soon.

Sponsored Links
david35 said:
I had one quote from decorator who also does lino/carpets etc.

He charges £1/m2 for carpets and 15/m2 for tiling.

He has quoted 150 quid to do the job. My mate has said he'll do it for 100 quid but after xmas. Seems both prices are good and I've seem their jobs there good quality.

Although price is very reasonable I've spoke to a few friends who say that white in lounge is not bad. They wouldn't just repaint it if it was new like say a few months old. to think of it white goes well with the dark wood around the lounge. The house just needs some furniture to make it more homely...guess we'll be sorting that out very soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back