Gas leak detectors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one of the TPI ones with the goose neck. Its three years old now and frankly its been as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Either I've been doing something wrong or its kwap. Today, could smell gas from beneath a hob and drop test told me it was after the iso valve. So, having pulled the oven out I could access every joint and fitting- but could I find it? Couldn't find anything that would bubble and the poxy TPI just seems to have a mind of its own- which constantly changes.
So, has anyone got ant recommendations for a piece of kit that works?
Would rather not spend a grand but if that's what it takes!

Sponsored Links
I swear by it. Great tool. Have located leaks with it that soapy solution fails to locate.

Could not do without it now. I set mine for slow steady tick. When it finds a leak the pitch picks up till it becomes a scream.

I've got the TPI one - excellenet bit of kit - you must be adjusting it wrong or its got a fault. Adjust it to give a slow tick after a minute or two warm up.

Well chaps I do just that, but it will indicate a leak say at a fitting, then when you try it again it says not. Then it will do the same on another one. Drives me mad, I can only assume I had a lemon from day one because its never been any different.

Sponsored Links
It is very sensitive - It picked up a suspected gas leak through the letter box of a flat next door to the tenants that reported a leak. It turned out to be rotting food in a bin bag in the kitchen, the flats tenants had done a runner the month before. :LOL:

had mine 5 years now excelent sniffer, no problems,changed battery,s a few times,would,nt be without it

I take it that you guys don't get the problem of it screeching at something one minute- then not and then screeching at something else that didn't affect it before etc etc etc?

Nope adjust it properley I found a leak above floorboards with carpet and it picked it up to around 11 inches away.
Great bit of kit

A good bit of kit, shame it don't work on LPG though ;)

I've got/had about 3 of the relative cheapies, around the £100 mark. (anglo Nordic, Regin, and either Anton or TPI) I believe they all use the same sensor etc, so behave in much the same way.
They are all temperature sensitive, they all detect leak detection fluid, and anything else they feel like, as though it were gas. They all scream at an open ended (both ends) empty pipe which had gas in it some time ago.
They would all respond to a letter box - warm air! The £1000 ones do that too.
I don't want something that wails at anything smelly.

OK for big leaks, but for small ones, pretty useless pieces of junk.

Same for LPG, why should it be different?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back