Power to Garage not allowed! (Flat above)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine has just moved into a new build house. The arrangement is a little unusual in that they have a garage adjoined to their house and above the garage there is a flat (part of a flat) owned by another party. The builders informed my mate that they could not install any lighting or power to the garage as this would not be covered by insurance. Doesn't sound right to me! can anyone tell me if this contravenes some building regulation? or are the builders just dodging it.

Sponsored Links
It is a strange one, the only rules specifically to having garages below living accomodation I can think of off hand are more to do with the building regs for fire safety which should have been complied with anyway. You can ask you local building officer and insurance companies as they should be able to give you a definitive answer. Alternatively may be some more info here (assuming you are in England/Wales): http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

It could well be a covenant or something they have written into the deeds,can't think why though other than it would stop the use of the garage for anything other than storage of a car etc. thus preventing to disturbance of people upstairs.

Ownerships and responsibilities in these situations are very complex, legally.

In a nutshell, it comes down to who owns the gap between garage and flat.

It would normally be the job & duty of your conveyancing solicitor to establish clearly who owns what.

But there's little legally to stop you going via a wall, rather than the ceiling, to the garage.

Building Regs apply w.r.t. fire ratings of ceiling etc.

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
Building Regs apply w.r.t. fire ratings of ceiling etc.
-which basically means you cant go putting holes in the ceiling without addressing fireproofing etc.

not commenting on the building regs south of the border, the usual way of getting round this would be to install an additional ceiling 6 inches below the old ceiling, thus leaving the fire integrity issues alone.

you could probably install sockets the same way- by adding an extra layer of wall (plasterboard & 2 x 2 )

for gospel advice check with your local building control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back