9mm thick boarding as backing for tiled 20mm cupboards doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be building some cupboards for the bathroom that I intend to have two doors on the front that I am going to tile with one 10mm x 300mm x 300mm tile on each door. The problem I have is that the total door thickness can only be a maximum of 20mm (due to the door hinges I am using).

I was going to use either 9mm MDF or 9mm plywood but I really don’t think that this will be strong enough to prevent warp etc and I am now wondering what other materials I can use ???

This will be installed in a bathroom so general room humidity will be higher than a normal room - I guess this rules out MDF.

Sponsored Links
ok problems you have here is you will need 12mm minimum to give a no6 or no4 screw somthing to grip what sort off hinges are you using!!!!!

another point is virtualy any hinge has a swing so if your using a flush mounted hinge for example the swing is about 3 to 5mm greater than the door thickness!!!

its ok - I have thought about all that and I have managed to find some hinges that work perfectly if I have 20mm doors.

These are my hinges:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=452&Name=Lay-on+Hinge+-+Unsprung+-+Bright+Zinc

I am going to be fixing the hinges to the door using glue, decent size thin washers and engineering nuts and bolts. I have got it all worked out and its not the hinges thats worrying me.

I am thinking of using 9mm aquapanel - Will that be stronger than ply or mdf ?

ok what is the restricting factor thats forcing you to stick to 20mm overall
when 9mm willnot be thick enough to give you real support or a good fixing!!!!

Sponsored Links
if you overlay the hinges you can make the door as thick as you like as the clearence restrictions are on the back edge

i also beleive you can insert the larger doors but i have never used these hinges

i aslo belive you can vary the carcase thickness as well

in short i believe those hinges will work with material from 12mm to 25mm with different sized doors to cabinet :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back