Oil-based polyurethane

jdl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been recommended to use oil-based polyurethane to keep the colour on heat treated copper. Can anyone tell me in what form I can buy this at a regular DIY store in the UK? Is there a trade name I'd be familiar with? Any help welcome please! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Polyurethane is used to give wooden surfaces a high clear gloss finish. It is very durable used this way. Though it probably has other uses. It is essentially a plastic protective coating. Go to B&Q and read their tins. Find them on the wood paint/stain/gloss aisle.

You will probably find a clear lacquer. It is often used on polished brass to prevent it from tarnishing, so you might find it among the doorknobs.

Lacquer tends to go yellow/brown with age so there are clear ones at higher price, but I don't suppose that will matter on copper.

Is this some kind of craftwork/repoussé? Some people wax it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, its for copper jewellery that I sell that I don't want to tarnish or change colour 6 months after a customer has bought it else I'll get complaints and that's not good for trade!
When I heat it I get some lovely colours but all the laquers I've tried (and I've tried several) subdue those colours , especially the purples, too much which is disappointing. Someone suggested oil-based polyurethane (I thought most varnishes were water based but that may just be my ignorance) so I was wondering what it was.
I shall try your wax idea too - thanks.

The most durable wood finishes/treatments are oil based, i'd expect the same to be true of any protective treatment. Polyurethane wood protector that i've used in the past is like a jelly, very very thick.

You could try asking a local / high st jewellers what they use, see if you can scrounge a pot for free ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back