Oil/wax for stair case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
High all

I have just spent 7 months unboxing our staircase in our new house, i then stripped off the 4 layers of lead paint, hot air gun and paint stripper, not at the same time, (note to self, never use paint stripper again) and have now sanded them done to remove the first layer of horrible dark brown stain, havne`t been doing this only, also rewired the house, plstered a room and built an airing cupboard, and reinsulated the loft, anyway now have them down to bare wood, i believe they are Hemlock, this seems to be the standard timber used for staircases, so what is the best way of getting them to look wonderfull, and oil, if so which one and will the wood look good, or a pint on wax where we can add some colour and pick up the grain?
I tend to use ronseal brush on wax which works well for shelving and is easy and fast to do, anyone any other ideas or know the best way to get a good result.

Sponsored Links
I'd use linseed wax from Holkham estates. It's beeswax and linseed oil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back