Repairing plaster on a 1 x 2 metre wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst stripping the wallpaper from my lounge, I came across a particular section where the plaster dropped off in large pieces as a result of the steamer loosening it - the whole "sheet" of plaster came away from the wall and ended up in pieces on the floor.

This leaves me with a 1 metre by 2 metre flat section of wall that appears to have some kind of solid render as a base layer - with swirly lines scored across it as if for the plaster to stick to. The original plaster measures half an inch in thickness - probably not unusual for a 1960's semi. I have left the old flashing on (for now) and so would aim to build it up to the same depth again.

How can I repair this quickly and easily? I have managed to get the other walls of the lounge as smooth as glass by lots of filling, sanding and base coating. I want the same effect here.

A friend suggested using "dot and dab" to fix some plasterboard to the wall and then adding a layer finishing plaster. Another suggested simply building it up with new plaster. Either way, I'll need some skills to get it level!

Any advice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back