2-gang light switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've replaced my lounge light switch as it was looking old (plastic had yellowed) however my new one doesn't behave in quite the same way.

The lounge has 2 lights and they are controlled independently from one another by a 2-gang light switch. I.e the left switch controlled the left light and the right switch controlled the right light. In replacing the switch I copied the wiring exactly (although the old switch had one gang upside down, whereas the new one has them both the right-way up). Now the left controls the right and the right controls the left.

The wiring is as shown in the diagram below;
light.jpg

I'm guessing that I need to move the feed in the left hand COM into the right hand one, and swap over both feeds that go into the 1way connectors, however I'm not sure. Can someone offer advice please?

Ian

PS: Apologies if this is already covered somewhere but I had a quick search and couldn't find it.

PPS: I know I could just rotate the switch 180 degrees, but I'd rather it was wired correctly.

Sponsored Links
just swap over the connections and put them in the 1 way terminals,no need to do the common as they are looped together

IanF said:
Hi,

I'm guessing that I need to move the feed in the left hand COM into the right hand one, and swap over both feeds that go into the 1way connectors, however I'm not sure. Can someone offer advice please?

Leave the wiring the COMs as you did it.

Just exchange the two reds to the L teminals.

Also I think you need to use the two L1 ( or L2 ) (one way two way ) terminals other wise the switches will be in different setting different when both lights are off.

Bernard
Sharnbrook
UK

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the quick replies, I've made the changes and it all works correctly now.

It's lucky I take more time over my wiring than I do my diagram-drawing as both reds were actually in their respective L1s and not L1 and L2.

Cheers,

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back