One-pipe central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought an old house with a oil fired central heating system that i haven't come accross before, a one-pipe system. It was installed in 1969!
The radiators are a skirting type, consisting of a single copper pipe running through with attached metal fins, not unlike a car radiator.
I have 2 questions;

1. One of the radiators makes a 'whooshing' type noise every couple minutes, sounds like a mixture of air and water gushing through the system. My problem is how to release this air? There are no bleed valves at radiators becouse it's a single supply line.
2. I would like to replace them with a more conventional radiator but i don't know which manufacturer produce a compatible range for this system?
All replies grateful.

Sponsored Links
Change to a 2 pipe flow and return system it is a lot more effecient.
Pete

look at the back of the rad for the bleed valve sometimes located there for the old roll top rads. saying that though you should really have a flow on the top of the rad and return on the bottom.

holty, the o.p will need a ladder .......a Skirting ladder for skirting rads :LOL: ;) ..........In theory you can fit any rad in place of the Skirting rad /s you`ve got .....practice may be a little harder ...........specially balancing :cry: ....

Sponsored Links
In Jersey, C.I. Thanks for the info. Myson say their rads are not suitable, any thoughts?

well I replied but it`s gone again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: Why aren`t they suitable :?: :confused:

I remember now ........it`s going back 25+ years :rolleyes: ....we made up our own vent tees @ the end of each section :idea: using compression fittings..that`s what we did , and the houses were £40k then ;)

Hi Nige F, seems a coulple of posts have dropped off the forum.
Anyway, within the one pipe system are a couple of bathroom panel radiators. The individual skirting rads do have bleed screws and valve adjusters. I have bleed the entire system and it seems to work a lot better, especially the panel rads which are putting out a lot of heat. The individual skirting rads still don't do a great deal. I can still hear bubbles in the system (nowhere near as much) but struggling to get them all out. Now I've seen how the panel rads perform I would like to replace with more. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

you should be able to find a competent plumber/ heating engineer over there ;) perhaps the council has a recommended trade scheme.possibly an older person .........like 50`s who has had experience of "odd" systems......tho` 1 pipe is not that odd really. A proper site visit / appraisal is necessary..good luck

Last time I went to Jersey on the Condor there was a 60ft swell :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just fit the rads and see what happens.

First identify the flow end.

Buy Stelrad radiators and connect them TBOE (top bottom opposite ends) with the flow in the top.

And before you start check the return end actually does connect into a one pipe loop, with skirting rads it was common to take the flow in one end and the return at the other end of the rads, making one long rad.

That probably don't sound right :LOL: what I mean is the pipes with the fins all connected together, flow one end return the other, with maybe several sections in the middle. :confused:

Swell nearly the same last week!
Because I can individually turn off single rads I guess they must all branch off the single pipe. Why must I identify the end of the line before it returns to boiler?
Also do you mean turn the new rads upside down, wouldn't that look odd?
Thanks.

My neighbour is 70 and enjoys a bit of light plumbing (you do the work while he sits and gives advice). Where are you? Anywhere near Blackburn?

mills said:
Swell nearly the same last week!
Because I can individually turn off single rads I guess they must all branch off the single pipe.

I guess is not what I wanted. either they do or they don't

mills said:
Why must I identify the end of the line before it returns to boiler?

The return is just as important as the flow, get it wrong and you could get reverse circulation as well as other problems, it's always best to know what goes where before you start.

mills said:
Also do you mean turn the new rads upside down, wouldn't that look odd?
Thanks.

No, :LOL: I mean connect the flow to the top connection and the return to the bottom connection the other end.

Thanks for the pointers.
I'll let you know when i start in a couple of weeks, I'd better not start now and screw it up the week before Christmas!
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back