Central Heating Replacement Question(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I amd presently getting CH quotes as I can get an interest free loan+ a grant via an Energy Efficiency Scheme . At present I have a very old floor standing Potterton Kingfisher CF60 + a Primatic HWC .

I got a first quote a couple of days ago..It was £2750
for an A Class Condensing Combi-make as yet unknown- ,6 Barlo Rads and TRV's and
a digital timeswitch and room thermostat ....fitted to 15mm piping .

I got another 2 quote today from another company....For the boiler alone...a Worcester Bosch Greenstar
Junior 28i,plus hall thermostat with the existing piping to be flushed .£1800 .
I thought this a bit steep but maybe the flushing is expensive .

For the same boiler with 6 Purmo Rads, 6 Danfoss TRV's and 6 Chrome Valves and
Timer Hall thermostat,to be piped in microbore the quote was £3200

The first guy said they would not fit the boiler to the existing system in case of leaks in unknown places although he was sure other companies would do so .

Other than the connections to the manifold I know the only joins are where I soldered chrome tails to a new rad in the bathroom recently .and all the Rad valves are recently replaced .

Anyone got any helpful comments . Is fitting a new boiler to an existing (old) microbore setup likely to cause any real problems.

I also noted that the second company have in their T+C a para that says "
allowance has been made in the price for any old fittings and materials and these will be removed by the contractor " . I'm not quite sure if that means that they are saying the price is lower because of the value of the old fittings or if it is higher because they need to dispose of it .? .He certainly said when he was here that they would take away the old boiler and rads .
Unless they have any scrap value I'm happy with that but if I get the complete system 'd want the copper pipe and the copper cylinder as I know I can get something for that .

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Its normal for heating contractors to take away your old system, its part of the service.

There is no scrap value in old c.i. boilers but the copper tube and cylinder will fetch a few pounds. This is usually given to the apprentices as a small bonus!

Few contractors will be happy dealing with you if you are so penny pinching that you want to take the cylinder yourself!

Tony

Agile said:
Its normal for heating contractors to take away your old system, its part of the service.

There is no scrap value in old c.i. boilers but the copper tube and cylinder will fetch a few pounds. This is usually given to the apprentices as a small bonus!

Few contractors will be happy dealing with you if you are so penny pinching that you want to take the cylinder yourself!

Tony
Should I give a stuff what they think .It belongs to me so I'll do what I want with it . I'd rather it went to me than them .

My advice would be to let them have the stuff as long as your sure they'll do a good job at a fair price.

There's nothing worse than a tradesman who won't return to sort out any issues you may have....I think this is worth a couple of bits of scrap any day.

Sponsored Links
"""Should I give a stuff what they think. It belongs to me so I'll do what I want with it """

That is a pretty agressive attitude!

If we encountered someone like you then we would assess the scrap value and add DOUBLE that to the quotation if you wanted to be so petty.

Tony

C U @ Hogmanae :LOL: :LOL: it`s the "grant" that`ll catch your sporran strings more than a wee bit o` tot :LOL: .......We`re all Doomed .....doomed I tell ye

Agile said:
"""Should I give a stuff what they think. It belongs to me so I'll do what I want with it """

That is a pretty agressive attitude!

If we encountered someone like you then we would assess the scrap value and add DOUBLE that to the quotation if you wanted to be so petty.

Tony

Well you're hardly likely to know that when you quote are you ....and it's not aggresssive at all. ..it's just common sense .

I don't mind customers being petty at all.
I just walk away.

1) We ALWAYS take old microbore out when putting a new boiler in. Its a pain, but it saves a lot of grief later.
2) Not convinced by the quality of Barlo rads..beware the ones with the bleed nipples mounted inside the rad panels.Get rads with proper repalceable bleed fittings you screw at the sides. Costs a wee bit more, saves grief later.

You'd be a popular bunny round here..Whenever our scrap fund gets to £2,000 we have a company night out..go bowling or racing and a meal. I'm a bit past it, but the youngsters all get truly blatted..we all work damned hard so we reckon we deserve it..and I agree :LOL: :LOL:

Alfredo

He who swims upstream will quickly become tired.

molley said:
Should I give a stuff what they think .It belongs to me so I'll do what I want with it . I'd rather it went to me than them .

Its the unwritten law that the plumber gets the scrap.

I have it wrote down somewhere.

Well you're hardly likely to know that when you quote are you ....and it's not aggresssive at all. ..it's just common sense .

Whatever. It comes under custom and practice.

Those who trangsress the unwritten law pay extra :!:

My sentiments entirely

Alfredo said:
Whenever our scrap fund gets to £2,000 we have a company night out..

Know a team of subbies that do mains replacement for water companies. part of the contract is to "dispose of waste material at authorised outlet"

They scrap cast iron, lead and more importantly gunmetal from old fittings.

Last time I spoke to them the scrap kitty was running at £13k for year to date. Split between a team of 6... £2k each and the rest usually goes behind the bar at the xmas meal.

Sorry Stu, what were you quoted? will you pay me to work for you? or do I have to pay you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back