Flue fan replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have diagnosed the problem on my old Ferroli Popular FF77 combi as being fan failure on the flue. I have once got away with removing the flue and spraying the fan with WD40 to extend it's life, which it did by 2 years!
Tonight it has finally given up. Is it an easy/recommended job for someone who is mechanically experienced to change the fan and if any members can run me through it if they have previously done so i would appreciate any help. Getting cold now!

Sponsored Links
rpcvc said:
I have diagnosed the problem on my old Ferroli Popular FF77 combi as being fan failure on the flue. I have once got away with removing the flue and spraying the fan with WD40 to extend it's life, which it did by 2 years!
Tonight it has finally given up. Is it an easy/recommended job for someone who is mechanically experienced to change the fan and if any members can run me through it if they have previously done so i would appreciate any help. Getting cold now!

Yes, its an easy job for someone who is 'mechanically experienced'... but only a 'recommended' job for a Corgi :D

Joking aside rpcvc, the Flue Fan is Critical to remove the products of combustion from the combustion chamber. If its not done right and your case seals give then CO could spill into the room.

But someone else on here might advise you.

If you are mechanically experienced then go for it. I cant say anything specifically related to that model as I haven't done one for a while but they aint rocket science.

Two years from a squirt of WD is a record I would say. The most I have had is about 10 months

A few points

Make sure the power is off. Obvious I know but I had to say it.

Get the Manufacturers instructions if possible. Ferroli will send a copy or .pdf version if you email them

Replace any damaged seals

Expect to remove and or replace the odd rusty screw.

Don't expect it to be too easy

Slugbabydotcom said:
If you are mechanically experienced then go for it. I cant say anything specifically related to that model as I haven't done one for a while but they aint rocket science.

Two years from a squirt of WD is a record I would say. The most I have had is about 10 months

A few points

Make sure the power is off. Obvious I know but I had to say it.

Get the Manufacturers instructions if possible. Ferroli will send a copy or .pdf version if you email them

Replace any damaged seals

Expect to remove and or replace the odd rusty screw.

Don't expect it to be too easy

Many thanks for replies, found their website and will query them re instructions

Sponsored Links
It can be very dangerous using WD40 on boiler fans because the propellant is very flamable!

Motor car engine oil is safer and lasts several months in some cases whereas WD40 usually is for only a few days.

Tony

Agile said:
It can be very dangerous using WD40 on boiler fans because the propellant is very flamable!
Tony

It does save on barbers fees as Kevplumb and myself can both vouch for.

Mine was on a Glow worm swiftflow with a permanent pilot. Sprayed the fan. The butane propellant sank lower down in the boiler with being heavier than air, and Hey Presto! The quickest beard, nose hair and eyebrow trim I ever had in my life. I was wearing a baseball cap and the heat gathered under the peak giving me a rather sore 'sunburn'.

I did turn off the gas before i did it!
Any plumbers/heating engineers in the Southport area on here?

Agile said:
WD40 ™ ?

I saved some young people and their carer in a hostel a fortnight ago from freezing over the weekend with cooking oil (because that's what they had at 23.00 on a Saturday night. I was highly surprised when I went back with new part that it was still working.

The thanks I got for turning out on a cold Saturday and using my witt and cunning to keep them warm was a disapproving snear from the guy who was on duty when I went to fit the fan, mumbling something about how there had been hell to pay because I wasn't an approved contractor (Government run organisation). I bet there approved contractor won't be available 23.00 on a Saturday night out of the kindness of his heart in the future either.

I was hardly going to charge, because I totally believe in helping the homeless, but now that they have been all arsy and it's government money anyway I'm going to stick them up with a late night call out, retail price on the fan and second call out for going to fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back