DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Light fitting with two earth wires

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_a

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

Hi folks, I just bought a (metal) light fitting that has a central 3 core wire connection and a shorter seperate earth connection. I have not seen two earth wires like this before. I was planning on doing the electrical connection in the floor space above the chandelier as there isn't much room underneath the fitting because of a plaster ceiling rose so how do I connect the 2nd earth wire? Do I extend it up into the floor space and connect it to the single incoming earth? or is it even required it there is already a central earth?

Thanks

Mark
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ch427

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote

is it lead that attatches to a removable cover?
 Alert Moderators
DESL

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote

You need to connect any exposed metal work of the fitting to the earth of the circuit using the earth wire fitted to the body, even though the flex has an earth core.

This will prevent the metal fitting becoming live under fault conditions.
 Alert Moderators
tim west

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote

It may be that the lampholder(s) does not have a sufficient electrical earth connection to the main body of the lamp and the fly earth lead is to make sure the main body is earthed to the same potential as the lampholder bodie(s)? so just make sure the earths are connected together to the lighting earth.
 Alert Moderators
mark_a

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I will extend the earth up and connect it along with the other earth to the main connection. Perhaps the manufacturer was being overcautious thinking the metal chain links connecting the ceiling end of the light with body holding the lamp holders could be broken somehow! Looking forward to lifting the floorboards in the room above to assess the diy workmanship as the main cable coming down is gold plastic and not the usual white or grey!!
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote

tim west wrote:
It may be that the lampholder(s) does not have a sufficient electrical earth connection to the main body of the lamp and the fly earth lead is to make sure the main body is earthed to the same potential as the lampholder bodie(s)? so just make sure the earths are connected together to the lighting earth.

You dont know what you're talking about. The body of the lamp needs earthing because it isn't double insulated and is metal. There is therefore a chance that the body could become live during a fault and kill someone.

Nothing to do with lampholders. These, generally, aren't earthed, since light bulbs dont need an earth last time i looked.
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote

mark_a wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I will extend the earth up and connect it along with the other earth to the main connection. Perhaps the manufacturer was being overcautious thinking the metal chain links connecting the ceiling end of the light with body holding the lamp holders could be broken somehow! Looking forward to lifting the floorboards in the room above to assess the diy workmanship as the main cable coming down is gold plastic and not the usual white or grey!!

oh dear god. sounds like a shoddy DIY install.

The manufacturer is not being over cautious, they are fulfilling a requirement that nobody dies by touching their appliance during a fault. Many light fittings come with an earth flylead attached to the metal body. Its nothing unusual. And a chain cannot be relied upon for electrical continuity - there would be plenty of resistance even when pulled tight.
 Alert Moderators
ricicle

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote

crafty1289 wrote:
Nothing to do with lampholders. These, generally, aren't earthed, since light bulbs dont need an earth last time i looked.

Brass lampholders have an earth terminal on them icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote

ricicle wrote:
crafty1289 wrote:

Brass lampholders have an earth terminal on them icon_wink.gif

But the lampholders on most light fittings are integral to the metalwork on the fitting. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: