Illegal connection to soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My aunt wants to have a washbasin installed in a small WC room on the first floor of her flat and has called a plumber in to give her a price for the job. The existing pipe for the loo runs through the exterior wall and connects to (what the plumber calls) a branch soil pipe that runs horizontally on the exterior wall to the main soil stack. This branch soil pipe is only about a metre long and also has another WC from the upstairs flat connected to it also (though this connection is made on the inside of the wall).

The plumber reckons that there is a real problem with the way the pipework is arranged in that my aunt’s kitchen waste pipe runs into the end of this branch soil pipe. This waste section also runs and is connected on the inside of the building. The plumber says that this arrangement is completely in breach of the building regulations and if there was to be a blockage in the loo there could be serious consequences with regard to the kitchen sink. He says that the kitchen waste should have a separate connection to the soil stack. He says that my aunt should take it up with the council who are the freeholders of the building. She is currently a leaseholder but was a tenant originally. This kitchen waste connection was likely to have been made in the late sixties before she was a tenant.

Any ideas as to what we should do here, please? If this set up is so wrong who is liable for the rectification? Thanks very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Whether it breaches regs is a matter for BCO to comment on.

I would be inclined to do as your plumber suggests and fit a new boss to the stack and replumb your kitchen waste to it.

Does sound feasible that you could have a blockage problem in the future and you don't really want **** coming back into your sink :(

Materials probably cost £10 plus a couple of hrs labour :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back