hello

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just found this website and forum, its realy helpfull coz i just started a course at college on plumbin. :D also i have this test on cold water on monday :cry: and can anyone give me any tips on what i would need to know to help me pass.
any info would be kewl

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome.

Sadly, the advice about your test will be on the lines of "pay attention to your lecturer and read your textbooks"

sandaz said:
test on cold water on monday :cry: and can anyone give me any tips on what i would need to know
As non-plumber the only thing I would suggest is: bring some warm clothes ;)
(I know, Friday-afternoon, cheesy)

Sponsored Links
sadly its theory :confused: not my strong point, i got the third edition of treloar which is kewl, and yes i do listen in attention...kind of :LOL:.

Just think of the 100k plus you will be earning every year when you qualify :LOL: :LOL:

When you get some way down the course and you are applying for jobs don't put in the hobbies and interests part of your cv what this one says that I received today.

"I enjoy spending my time going fishing. Either in the sea or freshwater, I find both just as satusfying and relaxing. Also I don't mind spending time watching the televsion."

Paul Barker said:
When you get some way down the course and you are applying for jobs don't put in the hobbies and interests part of your cv what this one says that I received today.

"I enjoy spending my time going fishing. Either in the sea or freshwater, I find both just as satusfying and relaxing. Also I don't mind spending time watching the televsion."

Rather get that than "in my spare time I do charity and volunteer work and help elderly ladies across the road", can't knock someone for telling the truth.

Yes quite right.

My wife who is a careers adviser and skilled in psychometric testing told me to stay clear of this one, "he will need too much support from you, which will distract you from other duies that would make you money" (Don't they all!)

This particular one qualifies for £50 of his wekly wage paid by the job centre.

My wife's personal take on the cv is that though he will have been given a lot of support by the job centre but "they may have allowed this to remain as it will give the hint to prospective emplyers about this aspect of his personality" Bless his heart.

My apprentice would also probably fit this profile and it turns out this is not too bad, 'cause it keeps him from blurting out loads of stuff to customers, as we know we don't really want them talking to customers at all, or we find ourselves unoading the van while they sound forth on the vertues of this that or the other whatever that they are experts on.

I suppose it's too much to ask for: I enjoy finding out how things work, have kept mum's old hotpoint washing machine going for years, changed bearings twice, cleaned pressure chamber out hundreds of times, chip all my mates cars and game consoles, like reading about how to fix combis, can't wait to learn how. Don't like talking to customers, prefer to keep my head down and focus on the task in hand, spend my spare time practising soldering bottom joint of endex fittings so they have a neat ring of solder and don't look like a seagull crapped on the pipe. Never fiddle with tools while I'm not using them and know where in the toolbag every little tool goes, would never just throw your precious 6" Bahco into the main muddle. Never loose your torch in the heap of the van. Never block up the side door of the van so you always have a clean place to put your bag analyser and brief case.

dream on.

sandaz said:
just found this website and forum, its realy helpfull coz i just started a course at college on plumbin. :D also i have this test on cold water on monday :cry: and can anyone give me any tips on what i would need to know to help me pass.
any info would be kewl

Depressing. The calibre of people some entering the plumbing industry appears to be as low as ever. No wonder we have an image problem.

Cheers, Mike

If you open our local free papers from one month to another you will see ALL the 4 or 5 adverts new plumbing firms apearing non of which I've ever heard of, see a new plumbing firm van every day, our small holliday town can't support it.

Fortunately I keep very busy, but I have to keep on my metal and respond very fast if I want a job or it's gone to an eager new firm in a breath.

Added to which we have some idiot advertising price of his combiswaps and full heating systems, quite a big frim from Bridlington with a few vans on the road, doing his best to cheapen the trade.

Bahco said:
Just think of the 100k plus you will be earning every year when you qualify :LOL: :LOL:
Wayhayy man ....only if you`re a Geordie Corgi :LOL: ...the rest make do with £30k :rolleyes:

Mike4 said:
sandaz said:
any info would be kewl

Depressing. The calibre of people some entering the plumbing industry appears to be as low as ever. Cheers, Mike
`bout the same as those who`ve recently retired :LOL: :LOL: .......and just made final mortgage payment :p

Nige F said:
Bahco said:
Wayhayy man ....only if you`re a Geordie Corgi :LOL: ...the rest make do with £30k :rolleyes:

I'm a Geordie to, so i hope i make a 100k plus :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back