Trade emulsion / Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions,

I bought Dulux trade emulsion to paint over some skimming Ive had done, I diluted it to do the miscoat, but can the paint be used neat it just seems a bit thick ?

Secondly one small area of the skim when I paint it the paint sticks but not very well its like the plaster has spilt something on that area, when painted it doesnt blend in with the rest its kind of shinny, any ideas how to sort this ?

Sponsored Links
1) I never use trade 'neat' I thin it down to suit what I'm going to paint.. Sometimes the wall my be porous so I make it a bit thinner. Generally I add about 1/2 ltr water to 2.5 ltr paint, try that and if paint is stodgy, laving brush marks, I thin it down a little more. I aim for a slightly creamy mix which gives good flow out ( brush roller marks disappear). Though I would'nt thin the retail dulux by this ammount....

2)Might be over trowling and plaster fat has come to surface leaving a hard shiny surface.. Abrade to dull the shiny bits and paint away.

Good luck..

Cheers thanks for the reply, I rubbed it down and it came up well with another coat.

One other question, I read people recommend 3 coats on new plaster, does the third coat have to be the same paint as the miscoat or can I just bang on the colour Im going to have ?

:D

Sponsored Links
On bare plaster.
Most times when using matt trade I get by with 2 coats of same colour, I tend to mist coat with the colour I'm goin to finish with as I can't be bothered to work out how much for mist coating. If you decide to use different colour on third coat you may get a shadowy finish and end up needing another coat which will equal 4 coats... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back