Building a double sided fire place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just moved into a three bed semi with a chimney located in the centre of the house between living room and the dining room. In both rooms the fire places has been sealed up with air grills to vent the chimney stack. But I was looking to knock both openings into one, to allow me to fit a double sided wood burner.

Does anybody know how much work is involved and is it difficult to achieve?

Kind regards
burgoyne

Sponsored Links
your first port of call should be to look at the flue. each fireplace will have it's own individual flue. so picking the most suitable, preferably the one that's in the best condition, is vital.

wood burning gives off a lot of tar. a clay lined, 225mm diameter, well insulated, high draw, straight chimney would be ideal.

if the flue is in bad nick, think about burning something else.

maybe a visit from an experienced chimney sweep would be a good first move.

If I was to open the fire place on both sides and knock through. would I need to put in extra support because the wall is missing?

The other question is, the fire places are staggered and are not completely opposite each other. Would you suggest opening them up and removing the bricks to make them the same and would extra support in the form a lintel be required?

Thanks for you help

Kind Regards
burgoyne

burgoyne said:
If I was to open the fire place on both sides and knock through. would I need to put in extra support because the wall is missing?
Yes the wall between the 2 fiers is probebly 9"" thick

The other question is, the fire places are staggered and are not completely opposite each other. Would you suggest opening them up and removing the bricks to make them the same and would extra support in the form a lintel be required?

Yes exisying lintels will probebly be barley good enough to do the job they were installed for

Sponsored Links
I think if you put in log burner you now need to instal a s/s chimney liner ( I may be wrong). A reputable stove shop should be able to tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back