Cooker Hood Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I am trying to fit a new cooker extractor and was going to use the existing cable which I detached some time ago from the old unit. The problem is, the cable has a Red, Black, Yellow and Earth wire and the extractor has the usual Brown, Blue and Earth. Which do I connect?

Sponsored Links
Red is LIVE, Black is NETRAL, Yellow/Green (or bare copper) is EARTH.

Just to confuse everybody all UK house wiring is like this. However for domestic appliances the equivalent colours are:- Brown is LIVE, Blue is NEUTRAL and Green/Yellow is EARTH.

Rumour has it that at some point in the near future house wiring will conform to the latter set of colours but it will take 100 years for all the old housing stock to wear out and by that time we'll have a new set of domestic wiring colours anyway.

Having re-read your post, what is Yellow and earth? Do you have four wires or have I mis-read it?

Yes, there are 4 wires. It is the yellow one which is confusing me and the cable disappears behind the plasterboard, so I can't trace it back to a spur or socket of any kind.

Sponsored Links
Time to get a multimeter out!

It seems likely the yellow might be some for of control wire from the light switch of something, but only definate (And safe) way to trace it will be disconecting the circuit back at the Consumer Unit and then tracing it using a simple continuity test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back