Tiling on to ply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refitting a bathroom. One short internal wall has previously been studded to make a cavity for pipes & a concealed shower valve. It's then been boarded with ply and tiled.

I have removed the tiles, & am now going to remove the ply to modify the pipe work.

Is it OK to replace the ply with new and re-tile, or would it be better to plasterboard & skim before tiling. As I said, this is to be a shower cubicle

With thanks

Sponsored Links
Only Aquapanel will do the job properly.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tile straight on to Aquapanel, or is it a special type of plasterboard that needs skimming?

Is it easily obtainable from places like B&Q?

Thanks again

It's fibreglass reinforced cement board that you tile straight on to.

It's completely immune to water.

Don't know if B&Q sell it but Wickes do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Joe-90. One last question. The adjacent wall in what will be a shower cubicle is breeze block / undercote plaster / finish plaster. Would you reccommend tiling straight on to this, or would it be better to fix Aquapanel on top & tile to that.

With thanks

kdLeeds

NO NO NO NO NO ......WRONG INFORMATION GIVEN AGAIN !!!

Dont listen to joe he isnt a tiler an Knows Nothing ....

take off the ply an refit with ply or use tile cement backer board

now is the very important part ......the area needs to be Tanked..!!!!

you can get a *bal tanking kit* from any good tilers shop
it very easy but a bit messy to use ...:)
leave it 24 hrs to dry then tile on top
the substrate will be 100% waterproof ..

here
http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060
you can get links pdf there how to use it etc

regarding the other plaster walls make sure their clean free of dust etc an tile straight onto .....

any wet areas
above the basin ....
around the bath........
use whats left of the tanking an give those areas a covering ...

the best mudmix/adhesive I recommend is bal fastflex
an bal grout (when using ceramics)
the job will be a good one ..;)

joe
STOP POSTING /TROLLING WRONG INFORMATIOM/ADVICE EVERYWHERE !!!

Moz, thanks for taking the time to help.

The local tile supplier has Bal products, so I'll get a tanking kit from them.

Thanks again

kdLeeds
no worries mate...:)
glad to help ;)
if you have any more questions come an post here , theres many good professional tilers here ....!!

an ignore the troll joe ...:)

Moz said:
kdLeeds

NO NO NO NO NO ......WRONG INFORMATION GIVEN AGAIN !!!

Dont listen to joe he isnt a tiler an Knows Nothing ....

take off the ply an refit with ply or use tile cement backer board

And the name of this cement backer board is ........ Aquapanel.

Ply and tiles don't get on.

Everyone knows that.

Why not go to the Aquapanel site? Surely they know how to install their own products?

http://www.teachmediy.co.uk/NetsiteCMS/pageid/13/Installing Aquapanel/Installing Aquapanel.html

Oh and just in case anyone is in any doubt click on the link and take a look at the picture of a bathroom with a cutaway.

http://www.teachmediy.co.uk/NetsiteCMS/pageid/1/HOME/home.html

Do you see how the shower has Aquapanel behind it?

Aquapanel was DESIGNED to replace ply and tanking. It's a stand-alone product used throughout the world.

But then again if Moz knows better than Knauf (with its 18,000 employees) then who am I to argue?

I had guessed that backer board is Aquapanel.

Sorry if this has caused a feud, but the help and links supplied by you both has given me enough information to do a good job.

Thanks

No probs. Moz is a good guy but can be just a little set in his ways.

joe-90

you post bits here an there an a lil info is a dangerous thing with you ...

You would have let kdLeeds go away an reboard his shower with aquapanel an let him tile on top .....an then as soon as he turns the shower on ... flooded downstairs an then his tiles all fall off ..HMM :( :(
IT NEEDS TANKING ,ANYONE WHO HAS FIT A SHOWER KNOWS THAT!!!

you silly little man .....go away ......

I guess that Knauf who make the product must be wrong then eh?

Why don't you contact them and tell them they are doing it all wrong?

Have you two finished? :eek: imagine how this looks :oops: you could have both put your views over and kdLeeds could have made up his mind which to go with, instead of that he's going to think your clowns. ;)

Moz is right on this one.

Aquapanel, hardibacker etc are not affected by contact with water BUT they will both let water pass into and through them, just pour water on either of them and watch it soak in.

The tanking will also seal the joint between the two different types of wall construction where you will get differential movement.

With the trend to fit high pressur/flowshowers the spec for shower cubicles needs to be higher than for a domestic shower which is basically defined as a shower hose off a mixer tap from a gravity fed system.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back