Fed up with wood stains/dyes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to find an Oak wood dye - this is the colour i'm trying to achieve:

AMERICAL%20OAK.jpg

I have tested the full Colron range and there was nothing even close!

I've also tried a couple from the Colron Refined range (Medium and Dark Oak) and they look naff - the colour is really intense and it looks so artificial.

I then had the opportunity to try Colron Medium Oak Danish oil and this looks too light :mad:

I finally tested Ronseal brushing wax in both dark and light Oak, again the colour is nothing like what i'm trying to achieve.

Can anyone suggest anything else.?

btw..i'm trying to stain brand new, bare pine wood.

Sponsored Links
you can mix light and dark, yellow, brown and red Colrons to get the colour you like.

You can leave the wood exposed to the air and it will darken and become less glossy as it oxides.

Pine will never look like oak. it will just look like stained pine.

I had similar prob once.. this was a new Burbidge case in pine.. customer wanted oak too :rolleyes: They were sending me up the wall till I tried a drop of Sikkens H.L.S exterior woodstain. LIGHT OAK.. H.L.S is a low build very thin woodstain for exterior use. But i put it on regardless. two coats and it was perfect.. Then a couple of coat of satin varnish.. though the knots in the pine let it down a bit.. :LOL:
I would say that Sikkens woodstains are about the closest to Natural. Without having to mix ! Unless someone knows better.......... Wheres that Zampa???
I would say that sample is Natural Oak....

Ps Did you try Growlers suggestion with clear varnish ?

confidentincompetent said:
IMHO it looks more like Red Oak (American Red Oak), not natural European Oak

Sponsored Links
I had similar prob once.. this was a new Burbidge case in pine.. customer wanted oak too :rolleyes: They were sending me up the wall till I tried a drop of Sikkens H.L.S exterior woodstain. LIGHT OAK.. H.L.S is a low build very thin woodstain for exterior use. But i put it on regardless. two coats and it was perfect.. Then a couple of coat of satin varnish.. though the knots in the pine let it down a bit.. :LOL:
I would say that Sikkens woodstains are about the closest to Natural. Without having to mix ! Unless someone knows better.......... Wheres that Zampa???

Do you know where I could get a sample of this from?

Does it allow the grain to show through?

:LOL:

Nope...Sikkens was the first thing that came to mind here too...they do a big range and most trade centres will have a board up of real samples...youl be able to mix an match a few colours and get something close

WoodYouLike said:
IMHO it looks more like Red Oak (American Red Oak), not natural European Oak

I sit corrected Here .... :oops: :LOL:

I think i'm going to take a different twist on this now:

Having seen this i've decided to go for the natural look:

pic-fairmount1.jpg

I will sand it completely (with the help of my B&D Mouse :LOL: ) using a fine sheet.

Any suggestions on what I should use to protect the wood afterwards, varnish (acrylic/oil?), wax or danish oil?

Cheers fellas ;)

Looks great!
I would go for HardWaxOil any time, easy to apply, durable and bringing out the natural quality of the wood.

We're getting there.

If you don't fancy WoodYouLike's suggestion.........

Sikkens Cetol TS interior transparent varnish gives a lovely finish.

Nice finish..just be prepared for the three weeks it takes to dry!

Zampa said:
Nice finish..just be prepared for the three weeks it takes to dry!
Where does that come from?? If you follow the instructions on the tin properly (including the mimimum temperature in the room you apply it in) the first layer should be dry within 10 - 12 hours, application of the second layer not later than 36 hours and drying time of second layer again 10 - 12 hours.

Than the floor is dry to (carefully) place furniture back, except rugs - don't place rugs on the floor within 10 days after application.

3 weeks??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back