it's not easy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l am tiling my bathroom floor to ceiling, and it's harder than l thought it would be.So l hope someone can give me some advice on a couple of problems l have.First question is, l am tiling in the window recess.So how do l tile the underneath without the tiles dropping.Second question is, around the toilet wastepipe ,what is the best way to get it tiled half desent.

Sponsored Links
Tiling floor to ceiling will give you a retro 80's bathroom.

The less tiles the better is today's motto.

ray316 said:
...how do l tile the underneath without the tiles dropping
I used a load of masking tape.
As long as it doesn't drop too much, it should be hidden by the blind anyway.

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
ray316
the suction from mud/adhesive trowel lines *should* hold them ....
is your mudmix/adhesive too wet ?

tiling around pipes , make a template with card then transfer pattern too tile an then score/mark tile an use tile nibblers to bite at the tile , then use a tile saw too smooth off edge ...
tools here
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tile_nippers.html

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tiling_tools.html

hope this helps ...:)
Thanks moz, l will try that.l would also like to ask if tiling from floor to ceiling is retro 80's like joe 90 says. :confused:

NO its not...... complete rubbish ....as usual :)
lots of suites are fully tiled ,an look very contemporary an stylish ...
see the many bathroom showroom sites on the net ....

its the *mickey mouse* cowboys that part tile .....

you can also use a batten with a prop under to hold the tiles whilst they are setting to ensure no movement.

Thermo
you use that method with the heavy stone wall tiles as well ....

Moz said:
NO its not...... complete rubbish ....as usual :)
lots of suites are fully tiled ,an look very contemporary an stylish ...
see the many bathroom showroom sites on the net ....

its the *mickey mouse* cowboys that part tile .....

Take a look in a good design mag. Tiling was originally used because they didn't have polymerised paints. Today we have them and tiling is so pensioner style.

Retro, pensioner,what is joe 90 on about. l'm confused about all this tileing now. :confused:

ray316 said:
Retro, pensioner,what is joe 90 on about. l'm confused about all this tileing now. :confused:

It looks like a pensioners bathroom. The fewer tiles the better in today's bathroom.

There is if you are selling your house.

I think it depends a lot on the tiles; if they are modern larger tiles then it looks OK. We're happy with ours anyway...
If you're tiling to the ceiling with those small square tiles I don't think it will look good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back