Vauxhall Astra..At my wits end..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 1999 astra 1.4LS 16v from my mechanic. Car ran great for 4days then started chugging and cutting out. Its been services and sailed through its mot before the problem began. Engine managment light came on and was diagnosed as low power? found a broken wire in the loom. ran great for 2hours then broke down again. Got a tow from roadside recovery he said it was a fuel pump problem. got it back to the mechanic got it on the diagnostics again, the auto spark shook the loom about then it fired up no prob. he fitted a new loom, just got it back ran it for 20 miles and its started chugging again. Now i know you will say get a new mechanic, but the guy is good hes not charging a penny for any diagnostics or the loom but my son uses this car and i think he will commit suicide if we dont fix it..Help please..any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
With all due respect to your mechanic,I think your best bet now is to let Vauxhalls do a diagnostics on it.
;)

Spoke to him again says he is now going to change the fuel filter..Appreciate your reply though it was good of you to take the time out to read about my Prob..

Take it back and demand a refund. Nothing else will do.

Your mechanic almost certainly bought the car at the auctions with a view to selling it on.

The car was probably in the auction as it needs a new engine management system. (Big bucks).

He's sold it to you as a dealer.

If he refuses your demand then tell him you'll contact Trading Standards - and the VAT and Tax Man.

Sponsored Links
Garcraig,looks as though the roadside recovery man was about right with the fuel pump.It does have a problem if it can't push fuel through the filter!
Let us know the outcome when the job's done.

I know for a fact it wasn't bought at auction, he has already promised to buy it back off me for the same price, but he would like the chance to fix it. so would i because its a nice looking car. anyway fuel filter fitted still chugging, had his brother whom is a vauxhall mechanic in it when it started doing. says it seems like dirt, as if the injectors are not doing there work so back so to the drawing board..a long shot dirty petrol..we will wait and see will keep you all up to date on this drawn out tale. thank you for all the interest. garcraig

The longer you keep it - the more likely that you'll get stuck with a lemon.

Thats it lads, we admitted defeat, my mechanic apologized for all the hassle and returned my money to me. he sold it to me in good faith and is fed up seeing it himself. So back on the hunt for something else now. i would like to thank you all for the comments and taking time to read my posts..cheers to you all Gar..

Not sure I agree with you there neo.It seems to me, reading various posts that vauxhall don't suffer any more with mysterious fault lights than any other of the mass produced cars.Having to pay somebody money to get a fault light put out,when there is no actual fault is really frustrating,and it can happen to any type IMHO.Bring back Morris 1000 technology!!

Sponsored Links
Back