Potterton Baxi Combi 80e gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Baxi Combi 80e gas valve

Corgi engineer came out and says gas valve - has ordered for Thurs or Fri and says total with labour will be £165 ish - sounds reasonable. Hope it cures problem of not firing up. If that turns out not to be the problem, what is my position?

Sponsored Links
Slightly left or right of the boiler with your hands in your pockets :cool:

robhiston said:
I thought you said in your last post that it did fire up but died after a few seconds.

And if thats the case its just the flame rectifacation device about £15 and £45 labour

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - it seems it wasn't firing up. Been having MASSIVE problems with the flat. I'm not living there as I was selling it but freeholder came up with massive bill for repairs to building, which he said I contribute £11,500! Lost my buyer in process of sorting it out and have had to let it. So I'm a bit compromised, in that tenant and baby need heating and hot water PDQ. Engineer is of the extremely grumpy school of thought. I am 150 miles from flat recovering from flu - VIOLINS - but much better now. So I'm rather at the mercy of the engineer. Any suggestions?

I would doubt that its the gas valve!

Furthermore, that sounds too cheap! As I recall the valve costs at least £130 and with say £84 labour at the cheapest then £165 is not enough.

Very rarely the gas valve solenoid fails and just that part can be replaced on its own costing about £24.

I would be very suspicious!

If it had fired up for only a few seconds it would have been more likely to be the ignition pcb if not the electrode or lead and that pcb is about £90.

Tony

Ive replaced a gas valve on a combi 80! the part alone was £157+.

total bill was £194+ although we had previously charged about £55 to diagnose.

£165 including diagnoses is too cheap. its either 1) 2nd hand or 2) not gonna get changed.

but i agree with agile its very rare and i work on puma's/combi80s alot!

Thanks Guys - I am suspicious. He said the part would in today or tomorrow and was supposed to have phoned but have heard nothing. He doesn't answer his phone or get return my messages. So have been phoning around again. Just spoke to a much more pleasnt and straightforward guy who said he would be surprised if the gas valve had gone. The boiler is five years old but has only been used in all for about 2 months in that time.
Am phoning the new one back at 7pm and he can come tomorrow. But am keeping my fingers crossed. If it is something slight, I will be well chuffed. We had this problem before but it sighted itself without us doing anything.
Thanks so much guys. I'll let you know - in the meantime - keep your ideas coming!

Why not just phone Potterton up and they will fix it for a set price that also includes 1 years cover on your boiler and controls. :D :D
We aint that bad

If the estimate is for anything approaching £250, I will do it. How long between booking and engineer arriving?

God im not charging enough.............£50 is what id charge for labour sounds more than enough to diagnose a faulty gas valve and the labour to fit it............how do you guys sleep at night??!!

I know - the Potterton Heateam deal is £299, spread over in payments. So , as I understand it, if you have a fault, you join up, get repaired and have cover for 1 year. So, if my fault is anything in that price region it may be worth doing. By the way, the first plumber i mentioned in this thread, was unavailable all day -said he'd phone , but didn't. I was ready today til about 3pm to travel from Reading to Hastings to deal with this. Kept phoning to see how it was progressing getting the gas valve - no reply. So foned round and found another plumber(who said would be v surprised if it was gas valve and laughed when I said that previous guy had to look in the fault diagnosing bit of my manual - that came with the boiler). Booked new guy after final try to get hold original.
Then the original guy phoned and said he'd left his phone at home all day - how likely is that for a plumber. I work freelance and CAN'T leave my phone at home. He said the part was on the lorry and he'd get it tomorrow and fit it. .......uh oh........when I told him it was too late - I couldn't raise him and couldn't risk leaving the woman and toddler with no central heating (i've given her an electric heater)or hot water and so I'd had to book someone else, he hung up! I feel bad

We charge a diagnostic fee of £84 and obviously parts are extra but we only replace parts that are required.

If its only the solenoid on the gas valve failed then thats what we replace!!!

Tony

Baxi 248085 Gas Valve
Gas Valve (E02-286)

Retail is about £110 inc. I'd be looking at £195 ish charging local rates up here in the poor end of the country

He said the part was on the lorry and he'd get it tomorrow

Does that mean it hadn't fallen off the back of the lorry yet :?: :confused: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back