shower cubicle tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!!!

I am about to tile my new bathroom shower cubicle, which has 12mm standard plasterboard walls. I have heard a lot about "tanking" the walls before putting the tiles up and am a bit lost.

I had thought i could just purely use a waterproof adhesive and grout, which would keep the water from penertrating the tiles and getting onto the wall underneath. The shower is fed from the combi boiler and has a fair pressure but nothing like a proper power shower.

Can you please advise if i can safely go ahead and put my tiles onto the plasterboard wall without the need to do some "tanking".

Sponsored Links
Have you considered using Mermaid shower boards or similar? Quicker, easier and they come with an excellent sealing system, which prevents leaks. Also they don't grow mildew like grout does.

"Waterproof" when speaking about adhesive & grout mean that they will not deteriorate if in contact with water, they WILL NOT stop the passage of water.

Apply a tanking system such as BAL WP1 which costs £50-60 and takes about 1hr to apply.

This can be applied to your plasterboard but I would strongly advise replacing the plasterboard with a tile backer board such as Aquapanel, Hardibacker, Wedi, etc. As should any water make its way past your tanking these boards will not deteriorate unlike plasterbopard.

Joe may suggest otherwise but what does he know.

Jason

do as jase said with the substrate cement tile backer board ....

then use BAL WP1 its £53-99 ......
http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/products.asp?rangeid=10
heres the bal guide
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/main/pdfs/fixing_guide.pdf
it comes in a kit with tanking primer , Tanking ,an plenty of tanking tape
read instructions on back , very easy to use ....touch dry after few hours but NEEDS 24 hours to dry...before tiling on.....
there are other tanking products like BISCEM...Dunlop
btw it sticks like s**t when dry!!
apply to all the wet area .....floor too ceiling

Joe may suggest otherwise but what does he know, exactly..lol :)

Sponsored Links
Moderator 4
The "idiot" simply removed the other idiots inflamatory remark and will continue to do so if you dont pack it in. Youve been warned, now keep arguments out of these forums.

I pointed out that the information I follow is given by the Knauf Corporation, makers of Aquapanel. Get on to them if you don't like their information. I'm just the messenger.[/b]

Or you can do what all the plumbers do and paint it with varnish or oil based paint.

I don't recommend it - but I've never had to rebuild a shower that has been treated in that way.

gcol said:
For the love of God. :rolleyes:
The defence rests your honour.

I don't think now is a good time to go all religious - do you?

Hmmm, not sure if I agree with their reply

Dear masona,

The Knauf Aquapanel does indeed allow moisture through the board over
time. The level of water resistance and water proofness you require for
a domestic use can be achieved just the tiling and grouting. The board
is designed to maintain its strength and performance although completely
wet, so if the tiling or grouting does fail, the board will still
maintain.

The use of a tanking or vapour control layer behind the board is only
suggested for commercial areas such as public changing rooms or swimming
pool areas. For a domestic shower this is required, although you can
incorporate it if you prefer.

Please note the smooth surface of the board is ready to receive tiling.
Should a tanking system be used to this face of the board, we would not
be able to guarantee the adhesion of the tanking system to the board or
the tiles onto the tanking system.

We hope this information is sufficient. Please do not hesitate to
contact us should you require further information.

Kind Regards,

Harinder Kaur
Technical Support Officer - Knauf UK Gmbh

Thanks for your reply.

As a DIYer these types of forums are priceless and i much appreciate your help.

Thats an interesting reply Masons, as I have said before the term "domestic shower" is defined as a simple shower head off a gravity supply so anything off mains pressure or pumped should have a higher (commercial) spec.

Do you think he meant to say that a donestic shower "this is NOT required"?? as he seems to be contradicting himself.

Jason

masona

Thanks for that , I also think its telling you one think that Knauf Aquapanel is waterproof , then saying it isnt ,lol

talk about covering their backs ,lol

"The level of water resistance and water proofness you require for
a domestic use can be achieved just the tiling and grouting"
its waterproof ....

then
"The use of a tanking or vapour control layer behind the board is only
suggested for commercial areas such as public changing rooms or swimming
pool areas. **For a domestic shower this is required,** although you can
incorporate it if you prefer. "

an if you use our boards in a wet area shower its best to tank ..lol

any way the Expert Joe will be along soon with his vast knowledge ,lol lets hope he doesnt impersonate a mod this time like he did with me last time I corrected him ...lol.............lol....lol :) :)
so if you use these boards then you need to tank them...as we said all along ..lol

Jasonb said:
Do you think he meant to say that a donestic shower "this is NOT required"?? as he seems to be contradicting himself.
Very misleading & poor advice, I'm guessing they are trying to say is, an average shower in the household is no more then 5 mins so its will get away with it but surely if the grout fail goes unnoticed at the bottom wet area then you will expect further problem, it's not worth the risks of not tanking.

So only need tanking for domestic shower so what's the difference :?: :confused:

masona
lol you try claiming/repair when you have probs, tiles failing .. with the substrate an they got the perfect answer havent they.....:(

unlike this firm I always spout about here Bal ....

http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060

who were always excellent with my firm ,
great helpful sales/tech staff ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back