Gas Cooker - Ignition Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has recently purchased a new gas cooker.

Unfortunately, her husband, who very rarely cooks, took one of the oven racks out to reposition it but not realising that it has to be slotted back between the guides positioned it on top of one of the two sets of guides.

The result was that as soon as he put his casserole dish on the shelf it tipped back causing much of its contents to spill down the back of the oven and all over the burners.

Last night I tried to clean it, a task made far more difficult by the fact that the burner slot at the bottom of the oven is "protected" by a diagonal (45 degree) angled piece which is part of the actual lining, and have managed to get all the burners working again but i am unable to ignite it using the ignition switch.

I am thinking that the ignition system, located next to the burners, may still be blocked but, as this is not, in any way, my field of expertise I really do not know what to look for and, being perfectly honest, which bit is actually the ignition system.

Although I am able, by getting my head right to the back of the oven, to see the burner slot that diagonal bit makes getting a good view of everything almost impossible.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about pitzo electric ignitors? ie. did they used to spark when you pressed the button. If so you may find they are ok when they have dried out, if you cannot get to them to dry them.

Yes, they are supposed to spark when the button is pressed!

However, since the 'accident' there is no spark which makes me think that something is still blocked!

If it was going to dry out I think it would have done so by now, does the cooker have an elecrical supply(is there a cable) or do you have to put a battery in for the ignition. Also are there ignitors on the hob part of the cooker & are they still working? You say it is " a new cooker" & I would have thought it would be covered by a warranty.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay JJ4091 but I have been out of the Country during the holiday period!

I had a look last night and there is an electric cable going into the cooker!

The other small oven/grill above and all the hobs are still working fine!

As for the warranty - as the damage, or problem, was "self inflicted", I would think that it is outside the terms of the warranty!

Her son, who is considerably smaller than me and should be able to get his head and shoulders into the oven cavity quite easily, is going to give it another clean this weekend.

I reckon that something from the contents of the casserole dish is stuck over the tiny hole from which the ignition spark comes but I am not too sure as to its exact location.

I may ask the lad to take a couple of pics with his digital camera and then blow them up to get a really good look at the burner unit!

Hope you had a nice holiday,I guess your sister did not manage to cook the Christmas turkey :D If you can see the burner then you should be able to see the ignitor, there may be a plate in front of it held down by a thumb screw, removing that should make access easier. As for the warranty the cooker should be designed to cope with spills, otherwise it is "not fit for purpose" & you should have no qualms about claiming on the warranty.Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back