consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello sparkys

i need a consumer unit fitting in my house. My wiring looks victorian.

how much should i be looking to pay for parts and labour?

do i need to notify the council and if so do i do this prior to work commencing?

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
There'll be a moderator on soon telling you that there's a rule about asking about prices for jobs!! :)

But, if the wiring looks Victorian, as do some of the Sparks round here, then you may well need more than just a new CU.

It is notifiable and, unless you use a self certifying electrician, you will need to inform Building Control in advance. A self certifier notifies BC afterwards.

On prices, just get 2 or 3 quotes from, if possible, Sparks whose names come with personal recommendations. The job will cost what the Spark thinks is an economically viable price and will depend on the individual circumstances of your installation.

:?: i didn't read the rules, sorry moderator

what is the logic in that?

cheers for the help though mr sparky

Hello jess3751, welcome to the forums.

"The Logic" is you will not think much to the advice given if poster A says £50 and poster B says £85.

The reality is no one can give a ball park figure / estimate for any job since they can not see it on a forum.

Example

You say you have a 3 bed semi

Poster 1 says one price, poster 2 says another etc.

You go away thinking it must be some where between the two.

In reality you may actually want more of something than the "average" 3 bed semi would have. (You may also want less)

It also depends on, where you are, access to the job, where the two posters who quoted are, you may also want a particular style of equipment, i.e all brass, etc.

So in summing up, you will not rely on the forum because you think the advice given is wrong. There are too many variables to make giving a price anywhere near accurate without seeing it.

Sponsored Links
i feel the position has now been clarified beyond all reasonable doubt. i'll just do the work myself using internet guides and my guide dog

...so how much?

(only kidding)

please also note forum rules item g

jess3751 said:
i feel the position has now been clarified beyond all reasonable doubt. i'll just do the work myself using internet guides and my guide dog

I am sorry you feel that way. I have no doubt we will not see your posts again, which will be a shame, but its your choice.

jess3751 said:
i need a consumer unit fitting in my house. My wiring looks victorian.

how much should i be looking to pay for parts and labour?

Minimum £300, maximum... it depends. It may well be that only a rewire will do.

And, as has been stated already this is very definitely NOT a DIY job.

Please, do yourself, your family and potential future owners of your home [deathtrap] a favour and get it done by a registered professional, preferably one who comes recommended by somebody you trust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back