how to paint? with (oil based) gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
this may sound a bit basic but..its so basic its often overlooked..

how do i get a first class finnish on my bookshelves with gloss?

i've primed, ssanded filled, primed sanded, filled.. and used dulux one coat oil based gloss.. but the problems i'm having are..

dust, more dust... upsetting my mirror smooth surface, then slight streaks/brush lines.. i'm painting all surfaces on the horizontal and using a high quality brush. how do i tackle the odd drip on the front surface, they take ages to harden before i can take some remedial action..

is there a way of doing one gloss coat then wait till it hardens then sand and do a thinner coat?? will this help?

all thoughts appriciated..
R

Sponsored Links
there is no substitute for using the proper amounts of coats to any surface.why do people have to use 1 coat paint.throw it away and prime,rub down,undercoat (not diy store paint) rub down again gently either using fine sandpaper or a sanding pad and then clean with tack cloth and paint with good quality gloss.the finish will depend on how much care you put into your prep and how much money you are prepared to spend on finish paint.whatever you do ,do not buy superstore rubbish.go to a paint suppliers and either ask instore or ask the tradesmen in the shop.

therookie said:
hi all

dust, more dust... how do i tackle the odd drip on the front surface, they take ages to harden before i can take some remedial action..

all thoughts appriciated..
R
Technique is your prob.
All the Trade paint ...from all the Trade bars in the world.....wont help.

Sponsored Links
When you have rubbed down and dusted off wipe the shelf with a damp cloth or tack rag to pick up any remaining dust.

Wash your brushes out and spin them between your hands...dont put em back down on a dirty surface

Dont wear fluffy jumpers and rolls you sleeves up when you paint..youl be surprised how many fibres come off your clothes..

If its possible wet the surrounding floor it stops dust rising

Dust the top of the tin off before you open it...

NEVER shake a tin of paint...if theres a very thin skin on the gloss you will mix it in with the paint.

Dont paint straight from the tin...pour it into a CLEAN paint kettle.

All the above...+ I use dulux trade gloss. slightly thinned with white spirit for easy flow out. apply to undercoated surface by brushing on the wrong way of the grain when you have about a mtr covered change direction and lay out the way of the grain, continue till the rest of object is covered then lay out along the grain, when whle section is finished deftly lay out all along the grain. After about 5 min check to see if you have any curtaining (runs) if so wipe out your brush on a piece of paper and gently stipple the run...Room must be dust free when glossing ... even blowin ya nose into a kleenex will result in fine dust settling on gloss before its dry.. ;)

I agree with all of the above :D Personally I would never use the one coat stuff, I would undercoat then gloss.

Also, paint your shelves last thing at night, and run out of the room and shut the door quick, and dont go back in till morning.

I always paint cills, woodwork last thing of the day, I close all windows before I start, then I close the door when I finish and dont go back in till the next day, less chance of dust and bits flying around and lying on your lovely gloss work.

confidentincompetent said:
All the above...+ I use dulux trade gloss. slightly thinned with white spirit for easy flow out. apply to undercoated surface by brushing on the wrong way of the grain when you have about a mtr covered change direction and lay out the way of the grain, continue till the rest of object is covered then lay out along the grain, when whle section is finished deftly lay out all along the grain. After about 5 min check to see if you have any curtaining (runs) if so wipe out your brush on a piece of paper and gently stipple the run...Room must be dust free when glossing ... even blowin ya nose into a kleenex will result in fine dust settling on gloss before its dry.. ;)

Technically known as 'nasal debris' or a bogey!...

Painters never use Kleenex because of this, so if you have ever wondered why the lower sleeves and cuffs of painters overalls always look so stiff?...well now you know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back