NEW KITCHEN SINK & TAPS = REDUCED HOT WATER FLOW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: :oops: :oops: I have just had new kitchen fitted with new butler sink and new taps. Prior to the fitting we had a mixer tap with separate hot and cold entries, the new fixer tap we have had fitted is a........

"GENEVA Two Handle Monobloc Kitchen Mixer Tap
The all chrome Geneva kitchen mixer tap uses twin quarter turn ceramic disk valves for high performance and durability and is ideal for both contemporary and traditional settings. The special aerator in the spout is designed to give a smooth even flow of water at all water pressures.The tap is supplied complete with flexitail connectors and all fittings.
Ideal for all water pressures"

The above was taken from website.
After having these new taps fitted (by plumber) we now have hardly any water coming from the hot tap, but yet the cold is fine. Have checked with shop where the taps where purchased and they suit all water pressures, so what is the problem. I had the plumber back this morning and he blamed the taps and said there was nothing else could be done apart from going to the great expense of fitting a pump upstairs where hot water tank is situated. I cant believe this is the only option after paying all that money for quality taps surely this is should not be the result. I am aware that some taps are only suitable for homes with high pressure but these should be ok. Can anyone help it is taking ages filling the sink just to wash the dishes (dont have a dishwasher the wife says shes got me). A very disappointed new kitchen owner. :confused: :oops: :mad: :rolleyes: :oops:

Sponsored Links
its probably flow not pressure that is the problem.

the mention of those flexitail connections always rings alarm bells.

have a look under the sink and if you see piddly little braided hoses connected to the tap and pipework that is a possible problem. compare the size of the braided hose and the copper pipework and you will see the restriction.

exact same thing happened to my mums new kitchen install. i changed it for a "proper" tap and problem was gone.

your plumber is probably right but he should have guessed it was going to be the case anyway :rolleyes:

Yes you are probably right had the same thought but dont want to go to the expense of changing taps and cant take back as have now been fitted can anyone suggest anything else. I have had a tenner bet with my husband that you lot can solve this problem whoever solves, I will gladly donate the tenner to a charity of your choice. Could this be an airlock the white plastic pipe looks same size as copper would this mean it is the same size how do I know????? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You have lost your bet. Sorry :(

A nice big, old fashioned, British design of tap, with big tails, big pipes, and big internal waterways will always give a better flow.

If you can post a picture of the underside of the sink showing the various bits of pipe, connector, hoses and service valves may prompt some suggestions, but I bet your plumber is familiar with the occurrence and will have given you a correct answer (he will also be aware of the labour cost of making a change while lying on his back trying to get his fat pudgy fingers into the tiny gap behind the sink).

p.s. if you've got a Butler sink, then a modern ceramic mixer will look out of place. Bib taps are the thing and probably cheaper than what you've got. If you want to install with flexy connectors, go for the 3/4" Bath size and use reducers. This will also give a better flow. The internal diameter of flexy hoses is always a size smaller than copper of the same external diameter, as the tube wall is much thicker. And Ball Service Valve apertures are smaller still.

Sponsored Links
If you have not allready done, check that the flexi to the hot tap is has no sharp bend or kink in it , flexis very easy kink and restrict the water

Firstly thanks JohnD and pwdavis, I will try and take pic of underneath sink but dont know if this will work, the plumber did say he checked the pipe for kinks and that there arnt any but I will double check myself. As mentioned although the new white flexipipe looks the same size as copper I do understand that as it has a thick lining this makes it a narrower pipe also the 10ml fitting from tap goes into this making it even narrower hence the lesser flow of hot water. If the flexi pipe were changed to a wider piping should this make a difference. I think with everyones help we will get somewhere and every confidence there must be a way around this as it would impossible to carry on with this flow of water, it takes ages just to fill my mop bucket, I think these taps are probably very popular so surely people dont put up with such a reduced flow, or do they?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ALL SUGGESTIONS MOST WELCOME WE WILL CRACK THIS TOGETHER

For less money and expense I would go for a better tap (sorry, Jamie :)

Firstly to we already have this pump for our central heating and it is in the immersion heater cupboard in bathroom does this mean we need another one?
Secondly to JohnD, I understand it would be cheaper but I really dont see why I should have buy more taps, shouldnt they tell you on the box in the packaging that by installing these taps your running hot water will become not far off a trickle.
Has no one else ever had this problem!!!!!!!
:( :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :(

Yes, everyone who buys a tap with teeny little waterways and low pressure.

How high is the cold water tank above the hot tap that is giving a poor flow ? You could contact the manufacturer with this measurement and ask them will this tap work with this head of water. I would say that the majority of modern taps with ceramic discs do restrict the flow of water . having said that it should be more than a trickle unless you live in a flat with a low head of water, did you check for kinks ? try moving the flexible pipe with the tap running to see if it alters the flow, think of it as being a hose pipe, when its hot it gets soft and can close up if kinked.

Firstly thanks for the suggestions, have already checked for kinks and hey presto NONE, am in process of taking photo, has anyone else had this problem and what did they do to amend it. Its taking ages to fill the sink just to wash the dishes.
C'MON YOU LOT GET YOUR THINKING CAPS ON
:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

Well I'm still trying, I'v been filling the sink up since Saturday night just to wash my dishes in hot water. (well almost). Have found my digi camera so will take pic of under sink tomorrow. Have tried all the suggestions but no luck, my hot water is still coming out very low. Someone suggested an air block could this be the case? I thought you go no water at all for an airblock, have tried with hose but dont know if I am doing it right can anyone please help surely someone else has bought taps like these, what did you do?????[/size] :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
Please don't try to make your text enormous. Use colour and capitals sparingly.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++

I spent £100.00 on a Bristan sink mixer @trade price.......guess what ,it works on low pressure hot .......like a lot of houses in UK still have........combi...schmombi :LOL:

Thanks Nige F, I know now what you mean about a good old British mixer, apparently after speaking with shop where I bought it from, mine is European. You see I have contemplated changing the taps, a cheaper option than having a pump fitted, but I have a butler sink, when new it gives the option of either tap hole on left, middle or right, mine was knocked out of middle and that was quite a task, so am going to have to be very carefull what taps, if any, I choose. The shop said it may be the valve and are ordering me another, but the man did say a pump would definately work, IS THIS CORRECT? After looking at another forum last night I now understand there is first the pressure and then the flow of water, although the cold is definately better than the hot this because of the high pressure but I did notice this morning when I filled the kettle that although the water seems to burst out ferrously from the cold when I looked in the kettle it was only a quarter full, you would have thought at the speed it would have been filled, so I now know the amount of water coming through the actual taps is not alot probably due to these slim fittings which go from our pipe work upwards to fit to base of taps.
SO WHAT IS THE SOLUTION.

AS FOR THE MOAN ABOUT MY LAST POST REGARDING USING COLOUR AND SIZE OF TEXT THEN WHY BOTHER PUTTING THERE AS AN OPTION. CANT SEE THE POINT!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back