NEW KITCHEN SINK & TAPS = REDUCED HOT WATER FLOW

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD, checked these from your link but as mentioned hole has now already but put into centre (back ceramic part of butler sink which goes to wall not belfast which normally has worktop sides and rear with taps coming from rear piece) so cant now have anything with 2 taps. I do understand now that it really is the type of tap but would now like to find a way around this ie if we keep mono would a pump definately work also where would this be fitted. We dont have combi heating just conventional. Thanks again everyone.

In my old grandads house there is one of these sinks, and the taps come out through the wall above it.
I suppose that would mean chasing out and retiling.

No easy answer.

However you can get porecelain disks to fill unwanted tap holes.

Thanks JohnD, didnt know you could get ceramic discs to fill the hole already made only our wonderful plumber had never done put a hole in ceramic sink before and this took him some time, on doing so he chipped the ceramic quite a bit near the hole, we were lucky as the flange on the tap is very wide and covers this but if we filled with ceramic disc you would then see the chipped part, as we paid a lot of money for the sink anyway and its brand new I wouldnt want to do this. Is there really no solution that will help more water come out, will fitting a pump definately work???

Sponsored Links
The disks are domed on the top and the top is wider than the hole. If you contact your sink manufacturer then (with luck) they will have some colour matched ones and perhaps a picture so you can see what I mean.

I don't know if a wrinkled old plumber would be more experienced with butler sinks.

I have no experience of using pumps in this situation. I expect it would help but it seems a poor approach to reduce a problem that shouldn't be there. I'm visualising the sort of pump used on power showers, with a flow switch so it starts when you open a tap. You could have this fitted under the sink. But the cost and labour for this poor solution, including a power supply, may not be less that having proper big taps fitted.

Thanks again to JohnD. ARE JOHND AND 1 OR 2 OTHERS THE ONLY ONES TO SEARCH THIS SITE. I mean come on, I see the same questions time after time after time, YES MY CENTRAL HEATING PIPES ARE NOISY TOO YOU KNOW Can you lot not just search the site as I have done over my taps, at least my problem sees to be original, if it isnt then where are all the answers. There must be a solution I cant believe no one else out there has not bought similar taps, what did you do.
DONT ALL REPLY AT ONCE.

From a very frustrated dish washer.

I think perhaps the reason you are not getting many answers, is that everyone knows the problem is that you have bought an unsuitable tap, and you don't want to fit a suitable one.

Sorry.

Well guess your right but still dosnt help, I'm not made of money, but I just thought someone out there would come up with a solution as I cant believe shops are selling these taps and the public dont know they need very high pressure for them to operate normally. B & Q actually do point out on certain taps that they are only suitable for high pressure water systems, but they also sell the exact same taps as I have purchased and it states on them suitable for all water pressures when quite clearly they are not, just as it says on many of the webshops these are being sold on, so why is this? I didnt purchase mine from B & Q but as they have now been fitted I dont stand much chance in being able to take them back from where I purchased them. Once again any solutions welcome.

This topic is going nowhere fast.

The problem is in one of the following:

1. the choice of the components you have;
2. the manufacture/supply of them;
3. the installation of them.

Most of this thread has been about the likelihood that you've chosen the wrong taps for your system. However, it's not possible to reach that conclusion without eliminating the other two possibilities.

The flow through flexible hoses is notorious for being poor. This is partly because the internal diameter (as you mentioned) is much smaller than even the 15mm pipework supplying it.

Some hoses leave the factory with kinks in them. Some get kinked in transit and storage, and others during installation. If you have anything other than a slow bend on the pipe then you run the risk of the pipe folding internally.

So - what to do? Well, get your plumber, or your Dad, or whoever, to measure the flow rate at each end of the flexible hose. This will involve isolating the hot service and uncoupling the hose from the tap. Fit a full bore isolating valve under the sink (if there isn't one already) so that you can turn the water on/off quickly and thereby measure the flow accurately.

Also, post a picture here of the end of the flexible hose that goes nearest the tap, so that we can see whether or not a better alternative is likely to be available.

Can the small bore flexible tail be replaced with larger bore copper pipework?
There may be enough space on the base of the tap to fit, something like a 1/8 BSP nipple bored out to about 8 or 9mm and hard soldered onto a reducer and onto 15mm pipe, so the length of the restriction is reduced to maybe a couple of inches. Some taps have this type of adaptor fitted as standard instead of more restrictive flexible tails.

TicklyT said:
Can the small bore flexible tail be replaced with larger bore copper pipework?
Who are you asking? The OP is not a plumber.

There may be enough space on the base of the tap to fit, something like a 1/8 BSP nipple bored out to about 8 or 9mm and hard soldered onto a reducer and onto 15mm pipe, so the length of the restriction is reduced to maybe a couple of inches. Some taps have this type of adaptor fitted as standard instead of more restrictive flexible tails.
There might be, and there might not be. Do you know that this will cure the problem, or is this the suck-it-and-see method of plumbing? :rolleyes:

why bother when you can go out and buy a set of taps that will probably solve the problem. what happens in a few years if it starts leaking from all these fancy fittings you want to put on? whoever turns up may find it harder to repair. these halfway measures are the sort of thing that does my head in on a weekly basis...do it right from the start in an easy and accessible fashion and less problems may be encountered in the future

the OP should be getting on to the original plumber about a replacement if shes not happy.....from the annoying drivel she/he is posting about our replys i don't think she/he is too shy to ask/demand.

I'm getting a little tired of the OP's attitude to the clear answers and solutions we have provided...most have been dismissed out of hand because she/he wants to keep the original taps which are most likely the problem.

test the system like softus said to be absolutely sure if you must... then get new taps fitted. problem solved

nickso said:
do it right from the start in an easy and accessible fashion and less problems may be encountered in the future
You're a man after my own heart, nickso (assuming that you're a man). :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back