repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me the best method for smoothing surfaces after scraping& sanding off old loose paint,is there a textured paintable product that can be used to make old surfaces uniform,i need to get rid of patching & crater effect,thanks.

Sponsored Links
Filling is used not just for the usual cracks and holes, but can make lumps and bumps smoother, if you have done your filling and still not happy, then maybe the best way to go is to line. :D

You can apply fillers or thin finish plaster with a broad filling knife, not thick, but squeezing it into the surface so that it only fills the little craters and imperfections and leaves hardly a smudge on the flat bits.

When hardened you can use a broad scraper to take off any high points.

Far far easier than trying to sand it off.

I prefer finish plaster for that, mixed to a sort of ketchup-like consistency. It is easier to scrape smooth than some fillers which set very hard.

what about larger areas on exterior walls where loose paint has been scrapped off ,where its more than just spot filling but not enough to to consider replastering.

Sponsored Links
Plaster on an exterior wall :?:

Do you mean render or pargetting?

:oops: yes ,i meant render,its just where the top layer of paint has been taken away in some areas.

No experience of that, sorry. But I always apply filler with a flat knife, and press it in so there's no lump to get off later.

External surfaces are not usually glass-smooth anyway. You might try rubbing the filler with a rag to blend it in. You only need to level off the step where the paint stops, I wouldn't bother trying to bring forward large areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back