Problem with boiler lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a contract with well known company to service boiler but they never seem to correct a problem we have had for 4 years. The boiler is trying to light and can 'click' (clicking to light) for upto 20 minutes before it bursts into life. Each time it is serviced we mention this and each time they say they have corrected the problem. But when winter comes the problem appears again. We have to switch the boiler off and on to stop the 'clicking' noise. It is not a constant noise it happens every now and then. I have had it cleaned and parts replaced but it still happens.

Can anyone help and maybe then we can suggest to the servicing company what it is. The boiler is an Ideal Classic LXFF Fanned Flue.

Also is there a way to bring pressure down. The rads had alot of air following a new pump being fitted I topped up but pressure has not stayed level it increased to 3 when it should be 1? Any suggestions. Thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
First you've probably left your filling loop slightly open. Turn the tap(s) off and remove it. Pressure relief valve will have dripped outside and may continue to lose water until it's changed.
If pressure stays up, let some out through a drain cock.

Non lighting - may be an intermittently sticking gas valve. What do they guys who fix it say? It's a lot easier for them than it is for us!

Thanks for quick reply, have just noticed water is coming from pressure relief value in garden! Will try drain cock! thanks

The lighting problem - Some of the the guys say it is dirt blocking the gas flow so they have completely stripped boiler vaccumed it out and put it back together. This was last done in September but problem still exists. One said it was the an electrical fault and replaced a part. Could the dirt keep appearing and blocking gas flow ?? Could I have to have it regularly cleaned? There is dirt beneath it now on the counter top!

They say as the 'clicking' noise never happens when they are here they can't deal with it. Try telling that to my daughter when it wakes her up in the middle of the night. (Her bedroom is right above the boiler)

Sponsored Links
Thanks ChrisR without doing drain cock pressure level is down to 2. Must have been filling loop. Thanks again :D Do you know where the dirt in the boiler comes from?

Animal said:
...my daughter when it wakes her up in the middle of the night...

Not much help, but if you have a timer on it, leave it off at night.

Doesn't this boiler supply your hot water? Surely it is "on" both summer and winter?

Boiler is heating only, comes on in morning at 6am and off at 9am then on at 3pm and goes off at 11pm and my daughter goes to bed at 7pm so it does effect her unfortunately.

We only leave the heating on thru the night when it gets too cold and then the clicking gets worse. There is no certain time it happens and like I said it can 'click' for at least 20 minutes if I dont turn it off myself. I am not sure what would happen if I wasnt here to turn it off and it clicked non stop, can anyone tell me what would happen if the boiler didn't light :?: It is a bit of a worry :!:

Blimey she is a light sleeper isn't she?, a clicking ignitor keeps her awake in the room above? shurely must be on the wrong line here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back