Painting Fibreglass Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a fibreglass garage door which has been painted, with what i don't know, but the finish is now crackled and flaking away. the questions which i need help on are.
1 can the door be rubbed down.and how best to do this
2 is there a paint which is suitable for the flexible surface

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I just had a butchers at the garage door again. and it looks like its been painted with a exterior masonry paint.

any ideas would be appreciated
thanks

Masonry paint... oh dear ! I would try hot water to try to soften, then scrape away. Best not to abrade the finish too much as might degarde the plastic face, though a little abrading with fine paper should'nt hurt. When I paint fibreglass I dont use undercoat, simply thin your gloss paint a little and give two coats of gloss. Allow first coat to dry overnight, dont abrade before next coat ! just a very gentle de-nib with fine glasspaper.
Good luck..
Ps I use dulux weathershield exterior gloss (solvent based) as it's more flexible than ordinary paints..

Thanks for the advise.

i did look at the weathershield gloss yesterday and wondered if it would be any good. the door which i looked at again this morning is a henderson door and has a label on the inside which states that it can be painted, and to ask for advise, why not just print the advise!! Muppets.

i will try the hot water and see how the old paint comes

once again
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry another question

what would i thin the paint with? and would this just be the first coat only or both coats

thanks

coldshowerkid said:
Sorry another question

what would i thin the paint with? and would this just be the first coat only or both coats

thanks

I use the solvent based weathershield gloss. This can be thinned with white spirit, not too much or it will affect the gloss durability and go flat very quickly.. I just pour paint into a paint kettle.. then add just enough white spirit to barely cover the paint then stir really well, this will help the flow out of brush marks etc.. I like to give two thin coats.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back