Loft insulation - ventilation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a good look at the forums, but still can't find the answer I'm looking for, so hopefully someone can help.

I'm going to be insulating a 100 year old loft for the first time, and understand that I need to ensure good ventilation to prevent condensation. I can see daylight through gaps in the eaves (in between the bird nests), and there's no felt under the roof tiles. But is it enough to leave a gap between the insulation and the tiles, or do I need to put in eaves ventilators? The soffit boards (?) are hard to get to and filthy, so I'd rather not.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you can feels air movement then no need to do anything.There should be a gap between the insulation and the tiles to allow air flow coming into the soffit vents if you have one.

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be much air circulation up there, so I suppose I'll have to put in some vents. Any advice on doing that/where to get some from?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a soffit like this? See this
disc%20vent.jpg

If not then you can fit facsia vent which sit on top of fascia to allow air under the first row of tiles.
fv100.jpg

Or you could fit ridge tile vent with roof tile vent as you don't have roofing felts.If you have external wall then fit brick air vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back