Which boiler do heating engineers have in their own house?

dan the man said:
thats what i wa thinking. :eek:

In my house i fitted an Alpha CD32 and 2 and after 2 years not even looked at it and been fine. :D

Now tho if i had to choose a boiler i would choose remeha. alpha need to bring a newer smaller boiler boiler out as the current CD s been out a bit :)

They are changing the design I won't get to see it until the new year, not sure what date they are launching it. I imagine it is more compact.

Sponsored Links
yup has to be more compact. compared to others which are better laid out with more room yet a vastly smaller case they are behind.

still a good boiler tho :D

Is it possible to have 2 boilers fitted, either as a standby or both working the same system? Cost aside, isn't this the perfect solution?

Yes two boilers side by side can work fine. Maybe even out their usage so both keep healthy etc..

and if one goes can swap parts over to acurately determine the fault :D

Sponsored Links
Hi
I fit loads of Ariston ACO condensing boilers, they are easy to install, fairly priced and easy to work on. You get a manufacturers 5 year guarantee free of charge, which covers all boiler parts and labour. The only conditions are that it is fitted and flushed correctly and it is serviced once a year. They even send you a reminder and spare parts when required. You can't really go wrong.

Paul Barker said:
I have an Ideal mexico (aged at a guess 30), a Buderus 500 24c (aged 1), a Glowworm Hideaway (aged >10), and an Ariston Eurofighter a23 mffi (aged 9).

I never touch the mexico and can't reach the balanced flue outlet without a ladder so haven't wasted my time sticking a probe inside. The flame picture is perfect. Hasn't needed a part in my ownership (7 years).

Buderus problem free, but young.

Glowworm perfect flame picture fga OK, never touch it, not needed a part.

Eurofighter I fitted from new, hasn't needed a thing, but I did notice dhw performance not up to standard, however tenant hasn't noticed so I haven't done anything about that. I am actually quite pleasantly surprised at the reliability of the eurofighter. I would have a very low threshold for doing much with it, prefering to not meddle with boilers in my spare time I'd probably stick a new one in if much more than a cleanse and a diaphragm were called for.

What would I replace the Eurofighter with? It;s a tough call between a Buderus 500-24c (tenants don't have to have a 28kw) and a Sabre 25HE (which is a Vokera Compact 25). Though the Buderus is best quality available I couldn't be certain as a failed cost accountant in a previous life whether the net present value calculation of the extra initial capital cost over a Sabre would lead to a purchase decision by the budget supervisor. I don't expect much trouble from the sabre judging from the reliability of the old vokera models it was based upon..

The Ideal Response heat ex is timed to leak at 5 years on the nail. You would never face this problem with a Buderus no part takes longer than 15 minutes to change or costs more than £120. I have changed the coil inside the main heat exchanger and it took exactly 15 minutes from arriving at the job to having the outer case back on and starting to drink the cup of tea, but it was the first one I had done. I recon I could get that down to 5 minutes. The only downside of a Buderus is that they are looked after by Worcester engineers who amongst the trade are known to be up themselves a bit, but the ones who are trained on Buderus are the more progressive thinkers. It is far superior to anything ever made in the UK. If Ideal do the decent thing and offer you a new boiler because the response wasn't ever of merchantable quality I would accept it, sell it on eBay and purchase a Buderus.

Buderus are good. The problem is getting parts. HRPC will not stock much of their range of parts. Keston sell well and yet HRPC don't stock much of their parts either - most is special order.

plumbnuts said:
Hi
I fit loads of Ariston ACO condensing boilers, they are easy to install, fairly priced and easy to work on. You get a manufacturers 5 year guarantee free of charge, which covers all boiler parts and labour. The only conditions are that it is fitted and flushed correctly and it is serviced once a year. They even send you a reminder and spare parts when required. You can't really go wrong.

Ariston boilers were just trash until they got their act together and introduced the Microgenus. The problem is that they are noisey.

Their condensing boilers have secondary heat exchangers - a no, no. Well last time I looked they did. Get one piece heat exchnangers.

dan the man said:
Yes two boilers side by side can work fine. Maybe even out their usage so both keep healthy etc..

and if one goes can swap parts over to acurately determine the fault :D

Two combis is good. One doing upstairs CH one down - naturally zoning. Separate showers and join outlets for baths only using check valves. Very cost effective.

Water Systems said:
Two combis is good. One doing upstairs CH one down - naturally zoning. Separate showers and join outlets for baths only using check valves. Very cost effective.

Simpler and better to put them in tandem with balancing gate valves on ch and dhw so that there are no hydraulics to change when one goes down, with the proviso that they may not fire on low hot water demand, so it may be necessary to connect the dhw in series. Therefore careful selection of boiler by enquiry with manufacturer.

It would certainly make more sense to me to buy two 24kw combis of known reliability than one 40kw combi. You have though to consider gas pipe/meter sizing, fluing and space issues. Probably most practical if customer has a garage or utility area which also houses the gas meter.

I got an Atag in my house and thats the only make I install these days. Ultra reliable, clean running and a joy to maintain.

anyone recommend an oil CH boiler?..cant get mains gas and dont want to bother with bottled gas.

warmflow oil boiler with rdb burner not too bad oil pump replaced 3 years ago boiler is 7 year old[my fault pump had to be changed kept running out of oil :oops: :oops: ]used to mains gas then went out in the widerness :eek: no gas available :rolleyes:

Paul Barker wrote

Simpler and better to put them in tandem with balancing gate valves on ch and dhw so that there are no hydraulics to change when one goes down, with the proviso that they may not fire on low hot water demand, so it may be necessary to connect the dhw in series. Therefore careful selection of boiler by enquiry with manufacturer.

Why simpler and better ??. This means using motorized valves on the CH zones. :cry:
I think having the combi,s separate on each floor is simpler and better and the hot water outlets combined for the big flows like the bath as has been stated in a different post.

Not trying to be contradictory just see the other option as better in my opinion.

ekon said:
anyone recommend an oil CH boiler?..cant get mains gas and dont want to bother with bottled gas.

Most oil boilers are fine, but don't go getting a combi. Sooner or later you will wish you hadn't. Even though there are oil service guys about, they frequently don't do the water side of combies. They're just cherry pickers and want easy pickings. Ido the wet bits too and get the rich pickings :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back