No CH on a Boxer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Hope someone can help me with this...
Got a combi Boxer C24 or 28 (not sure which) and all manuals for it.
All the radiators are cold.
I get hot water ok, but the CH turns of after about 30 - 40 secs.
Ive noticed the temp climbs to about 70 on the guage when it cuts out.
The pump sounds like its working and water escapes from the bleeding screw. The flow pipe from the diverter valve did not get very hot, so I replaced that today ( £80 jeez!) Problem still not resolved.
I have had 3 plumbers promise to come out to this, this week, and everyone have let me down, hence the reason Im trying myself.
Can anyone help me with this problem please :cry:
Have bled radiators.
thanks...

Sponsored Links
I have some very bad news for you, it might never work again.

This is the worst boiler I have ever come across in my entire life, and geting the central heating to flow again after a drain down is vertually impossible. It completely baffles me as to where the problem lies, you can crack the nuts at the top of the heat ex to try and purge air, but it's a lost cause.

Ideal handle the technical for it, and if you get honesty from them they will admitt it is a pile of sh1te.

Buderus very nearly bought it in as their entrant to the UK market. What a good job for them they didn't?

I believe Biasi handled them momentarily for Ideal but not for very long. Not sure which godforsaken manufacturer is responsible for them.

Graham's did a branded one.

I wouldn't have wasted my money on a diverter valve.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope you can get it to circulate again. It's not an uncommon situation with them and I haven't found the solution.

I suppose the answer if you don't solve it is Ideal Engineer on a guaranteed fix or new boiler, but spend more don't let history repeat itself.

Ahh damn!
Thats all I need a t this time of year... :mad:

Whilst I know the Boxer name I dont remember what they look like.

Can the original poster post a picture of the control panel or inside?

Or Paul can you email me the MI ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the MI, Paul.

I dont think that I have repaired one of these yet although I am quite happy to do so if I am ever called out to one. I dont see any problem in repairing them.

Its a rather unusual design with a lot of non standard parts. I cannot see any obvious similarity to any common design although it does use one or two standard parts.

One of its odd features is the rectangular EV which is mounted at the front like the old Celtic and the Potty Ultras. Not the most convenient place unless it needed to be changed.

If there is any help I can give now please ask me.

Tony Glazier

Hi guys,
Thanks for the info so far...just an update.
Had an engineer out today who stated" its an electrical fault, and you need a new boiler".
Why? I get hot water, the heating is cutting out because it seems as though the water is not circulating, so the thermostat is cutting it out.
Can a pump be faulty even tho it sounds as tho is working?
When you open the bleeding screw water comes out, but you can also here a grinding noise until you tighten it up again.
One more thing, when I replaced the diverter valve, the (flow) pipe from it, to upstairs has a cut off valve on it. I opened this with the valve off, but no water came out.
I assumed it would because its coming from upstairs and gravity would force water out?
at my wits end now cause no way can I afford a new boiler! :cry:

"""Had an engineer out today who stated" its an electrical fault, and you need a new boiler". """

That means he cannot repair faults on boilers but wants a worthwhile job of fitting a new boiler for you.

You need a competent engineer! Thats one who does know how they work and how to repair them!

Tony

Only ever worked on one, and suprise suprise, that is exactly the fault it had.

However a new diverter cartridge sorted it.

Can't see how it can be owt else.

Have you got a dripping hot water tap/water leak anywhere.

It has a wax capsule diverter which is either stuck or being kept in hot water mode by way of cold water passing over the capsule.

Also i am not a fan of the way the case is held on, them clips go baggy.

The actual diverter valve I fitted is all copper with a plunger inside it..hope that makes sense!
Can anyone verify that if the flow pipe has a small u bend then goes straight up into the ceiling , that water should be coming out of it, if its disconnected from the valve?
sorry cant post pics yet, Im at work till 10pm, but can post later tonight.

PS got no leaks anywhere, but it did have one coming from the connection to the outlet pipe incase of too much pressure. which I just tightened abit.

It sounds as if you have a non return valve on your flow pipe.

It also sounds as if it is stuck closed.

I dont see are reason for having one so I suggest you remove it and then I expect it will work ! Alternately hold a bucket under it and poke the inside with a screwdrived in the hope of freeing it up.

Tony

I thought that too Agile, but I cant find one anywhere.
BUT I have got a bit further now.
Had another Engineer come today who stated he had problems with this type of boiler and quoted me £900 for a new one fitted. Have'nt got that type of money right now as missus spending left right and centre!
So I thought might as well check the pump. removed it and took it apart, looked fine and replaced it...now it sounds like a bag of crap, BUT my heating is now back on! just the pump sounds really loud. so gonna get a new one and see what happens.
Any thoughts on this guys?

aivas said:
I thought that too Agile, but I cant find one anywhere.
BUT I have got a bit further now.
Had another Engineer come today who stated he had problems with this type of boiler and quoted me £900 for a new one fitted. Have'nt got that type of money right now as missus spending left right and centre!
So I thought might as well check the pump. removed it and took it apart, looked fine and replaced it...now it sounds like a bag of rubbish, BUT my heating is now back on! just the pump sounds really loud. so gonna get a new one and see what happens.
Any thoughts on this guys?

You should sell the christmas presents and have the new boiler for £900. Christmas is not about building up family debt instead of maintaining the home correctly. It's all got out of hand, form a pact with close family members that it is more sensible you buy a boiler this year, this doesn't mean you don't love them. Anyone outside the close family loop cut off from the whole christmas present buying farse. If you stop buying them nobody will hate you, you might actualy end up with a better class of friend who don't expect presents off you at every turn.

Pump sound right diagnosis, but knowing this boiler don't be surprised if the money on new pump will join money you spent on diverter valve down the same drain before long.

I would cancel Christmas presents (which would do you a big favour for many years to come) and buy the guy in who is prepared to supply and fit for £900.

My dad was a GP we had the biggest house of my mates, but they all had presents lavished on them at Christmas and I had pitiful little, but I knew he loved me and was content all year round.

Got to be worth a nerw pump surely? Probably the head is standard, judging by the (lowish) price. I do Landlords gas checks on a couple of these whch have not given any trouble in the last 3 years or so.
Most of the bits aren't too expensive..

I had a confirmation yesterday that as I had expected these are made somewhere towards Eastern Europe by an independent manufacturer and not by any known brand maker.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back