potterton profile 60e LPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler fires up and runs fine for 3mins then main burner keeps tripping off and on fairly rapidly but pilot stays on. This has been going on for some time but this morning it just got so bad it isn't heating up the rads or water.
Could this be a blocked heat exchanger?!
Should I get shot.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could be a cheap thermostat. I know plumbers are hard to get, but shooting yourself seems a little drastic.

Does the fan keep running?

and avoid getting shot, wear a bullet proof vest just in case!

I've already changed the stat so I'm sure it's not that.
I had a heavy duty fernox cleanser in it for 5 days then flushed it really well. Could this have somehow blocked the heat exchanger up?
Have I shot myself in the foot!

Sponsored Links
I had an engineer around who fitted a new air pressure switch and PCB cost a fortune! didn't fix this problem and then told me I needed a new boiler the next day on the phone.

Is the pump running freely and is it wired directly back to the boiler

yes pump is running freely and it is wired directly back to the boiler.
But it shouldn't be, should it?

With info given
it's back to the thermostat part number 404504
or you 've got a restriction in your system
Does the flow pipe get hot? if so how far along? does it reach the pump, motorised valves, radiators, hot tank?

It sounds like a fan/aps problem but before coming to that conclusion I would have measured the flow and return temperatures when it starts turning on/off.

This would confirm the system flow is adequate.

Tony

It's been reaching everywhere until this morning when everything was luke warm . The intermitent off/on of the main burner has increased suddenly so this is the reason it wasn't heating up this morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back