Potterton Profile Boiler - Help Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into an older house that has a Potterton Profile Boiler fitted in the garage. One day I noticed the radiators were not hot even thought the red 'on' light on the control panel in the kitchen was showing.

A relative who knows a bit about boilers came around took the front panel off the boiler in the garge, turned the dial from '4' to '0', pressed the red reset button and turned the dial back to '4'. After turning the heating on all worked.

The next day again the heating did not automatically come on even though the red 'on' light on the timer was showing inside the house. I followed what was done before - i.e. took the panel off the boiler, turned the dial to '0', pressed the red reset button and turned the dial back to '4'. Heating worked.

I now have to press this reset button every time I want the heating to come on.

Please can someone explain whether I should pay to have this problem fixed or simply buy a new boiler??? This boiler is 10-15 years old now.

To make matters worse a week after discovering the above I heard a noisy banging and boiling noise from the water tank (upstairs in the airing cupboard) and nearby pipes under the floor boards. This has happened twice tonight and I am worried. From the boiler it sounds as if the water is over heating and boiling up. Then you can hear the water move under the floorboards through the pipes.

Please again can anybody offer some help or advice???

Sponsored Links
Call a heating engineer! You may just need a new pump, or have a system blockage, all sorts of possibilities. Most of them are things which would have to be put right before you got a new boiler.
Yours probably has 10 - 15 years left in it!

Sponsored Links
someone has looked and said the pump is working. They also said the pipes are making the banging/boiling noise as there seems to be air in the system. Still not sure why it keeps tripping though???

AIr in the boiler would make it overheat. Try bleeding everything which looks like a bleed point. Eg automatic air vents over the boiler all scaled up so done up to not let air out, etc.

It could be the pump sticking first thing in a morning, the pump overrun stat which is not disapaiting heat after the heating goes off or just the over heat stat that is knackered and needs replacing.

Stan

P.S Keep the boiler at all costs!! It will probably out live both of us. I used to install these beauties before the regulations screwed it all up and my back gave way from trying to lift them onto the wall :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back