Dimmer Switch

CMR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry in advance if a similar question has been posted and previously answered - I've yet to find it!

I want to replace a 3 gang, 1 way switch with a single dimmer switch (2 of the 3 lights being removed). I'm a bit confused though - there seems to be 2 wires to the com and one L1. Perhaps this is simple, but why would there be 2 com's????? :idea: :?: It seems to be that both coms need to be connected for the light to work

Sponsored Links
There could be a feed in and a feed out of that com. Where do they go to?

Does one go to another com terminal?

I'll try and get a picture up.
I worked out that if I don't wire one of the com wires most of the lights upstairs don't work. So I think the switch itself is being used as a junction box - is this common practice? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yes. there are several ways to wire lights up. Yours is nothing unusual. Using switches as "junction boxes" or the "loop in" is becoming more common, as it is favourable to concealed junction boxes which are not allowed any more, and with the growing trend for downlights and non-ceiling rose lighting, using the light fitting itself as the loop-in is also going out of fashion.

Brilliant. Thanks for your help everyone!
Have a great Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back